Sign in to follow this  
hwince

Managing a data set in TMG 9.05

I have created a Focus Group in my current project and have used that FG to create a new project. Now, in my current project, I have created a new, empty data set and I want to put all the people in the FG into the empty data set. Then, I plan to delete that data set, which I expect will remove the people in the FG from the current project. After verifying the results, I would delete the FG from my current project. My problem is that I am lost in trying to put the FG people into the empty data set. I would appreciate guidance to achieve this.

hwince,

You are on the right track. All you have to do is use the Edit > Merge Person(s) menu command, and choose the people in the current Data Set.

Thanks, Michael. I have reviewed Terry's Tips as you suggest (I also have his latest book "A Primer for TMG) and also his "Copying and Moving People Between Data Sets." I finally woke up and found the Add>Copy Persons option and copied all in Focus Group to the empty data set. However, all these people remain in the "current" project (Data Set 1:xxx) as well as in the New Data Set. Further, I did all this before I saw the post from Terry and now I do not find the Edit > Merge Person option. Of course, I'm trying to delete all of the people in the Focus Group from my current project, so I still need help, which will be greatly appreciated from either you or Terry.

hwince,

Sorry - my mistype. You need Edit > Move Person(s).

Delete the second Data Set then recreate it.

Then use Move Person(s) to move the people in the FG to the new second Data Set.

(Actually, I suppose you don't need to delete and recreate the second Data Set, but if you don't you will end up with two copies of everyone there which will make verifying that everything is alright more confusing.)

Hello Terry, Thanks for the new info. I followed these directions and it worked exactly as you directed. Thanks so much for your guidance and patience.