Sign in to follow this  
hwince

Entering person's mother as new entry

In my project on my laptop, I have a person (Karen) who has her father defined, but not her mother. So I select Create Person and select the Mother option. This new person (Bonita) is created and the Mother-Bio tag is created in Karen's record; however, Bonita does not appear in Karen's Type window. So, I double-click on the Mother option in the Type window and enter the newly-created ID# for Bonita as requested. This creates a duplicate Mother-Bio entry for Karen, but Bonita still does not show up in Karen's Type window. I acknowledge that I have used this latter procedure on this same project on my desktop and it works as expected, There the layout is identified as Desktop and here I am using a layout defined as Laptop so that the displayed data fits best. I just don't understand why I don't seem to be able to get Bonita to show up as Karen's mother in Karen's Type window. Help.

Well, I just solved my own issue, but thanks for any consideration. I merely selected Mother-Bio as Primary and Bonita immediately showed up as Karen's mother in the Type window as desired.

There is an easier way to do all this at once. In the child's (Karen) window double click on the "Mother" label for her primary mother. This will pop-up an Add Tag Entry for Mother-Bio, but the Parent field will have no ID number. Be sure your cursor is in this Parent field (which it should be by default) and just click the "person-+" Add-Person icon in upper right. This will give you the Add Person screen for a female (the mother) and when you OK out of everything she will automatically be linked as the Primary mother since that is how you started. Fewer clicks and things to remember.

Hope this gives you ideas,