Sign in to follow this  
JohnR

Defining a search to set a flag

I have a Filtered search which is Name A AND Name B = Y, this naturally can give me a report of all male descendants and their wives and the daughters but I wish to add the husbands of the daughters. TMG seems to discriminate on grounds of gender or because I haven't asked the right question :-)

John

John,

You were not complete in describing your Search Filter. Assuming you mean the Picklist, there is no "Field" called "Name" and the AND does not seem to make sense.

If you mean a Filter something like:

Surname // = Equals // Jones // AND

Surname // =Equals // Smith // END

This doesn't make sense as a person can have only one Primary Name tag which will have only one Surname.

Perhaps you are trying to filter some report? Which one, as different reports have different Filter possibilities.

To make suggestions I would need to know first what you are filtering (Picklist, or some specific report) and second the exact Filter you are using. (You can change the values of the names if you wish to protect the guilty .)

You correctly recognised the ramblings of a senile old fool.

I made a filter

Surname // = Equals // Jones // OR

and used this in Second Site, which is where I read the names of wives but only the maiden names of daughters, though the index there gave their married names. Being fully aware of the present dangers of discriminating in the way I treat any gender I think that I may have solved it with a filter which reads

Surname // =Equals // Smith // AND

Name-Marr...// Any Name Field // = Equals // Jones // OR

Name-Marr...// Any Name Field // = Equals// Smith // END

I had already refined Jones and Smith as descendants of a common progenitor but I can't ensure that the females who have either of the married names are not in fact married to a Smith or Jones in whom I have no interest.

Apart from using SS I presume that if I make a flag for the above filter I could then produce a TMG report?

Keep in mind that, as a rule, TMG reports are designed to have one subject.

If you filter a report to use the flag that you have described, you will be generating a report for every individual selected by the flag.

Put another way, you cannot use a flag to determine which individuals will be included in a report.

Jim is of course referring to all the various Ancestor and Descendant reports and charts, which I think is what you intended. You can use a Flag to define who is included in List of People reports and the like, and in sets of individual reports like the Individual detail and Individual Narrative.

Flags topic, new question

Jim and Terry refer to using flags to define reports. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I have assigned a flag to mark my DNA Matches. How can I now find everyone with DMA Match flag set to Y?

Thank you!

Doris

Doris,

Run a List of People report. For the "Subjects" choose Filtered Group. then create a filter like:

DNA Match =equals Y END

If "DNA Match" isn't actually the name of your Flag, substitute whatever it's name is.

Oh my gosh, as easy as that. I'm embarrassed. Guess it was a senior moment.

Thank you, Terry.

You correctly recognised the ramblings of a senile old fool.

Probably not, John, those were probably my ramblings and I am probably older and more senile an old fool than you

I made a filter

and used this in Second Site

Hmm... How are you using a Filter in Second Site?? I am further confused. But soldiering on...

, which is where I read the names of wives but only the maiden names of daughters, though the index there gave their married names. Being fully aware of the present dangers of discriminating in the way I treat any gender I think that I may have solved it with a filter which reads

Surname // =Equals // Smith // AND

Name-Marr...// Any Name Field // = Equals // Jones // OR

Name-Marr...// Any Name Field // = Equals// Smith // END

I am "guessing" that you really mean you are using the above filter in a List of People report where you have the Secondary Output set a Flag based on this Filter. And then you use that Flag in Second Site??? Have I guessed correctly? Or how are you filtering Second Site?

A TMG Filter like yours may?? be what you want, but I would suggest two changes to the above combined Filter:

( Surname // = Equals // Jones //   OR
  Surname // = Equals // Smith // ) AND
( Name-Marr...// Surname // = Equals // Jones //   OR
  Name-Marr...// Surname // = Equals // Smith // ) END

Notice using the Surname name part and the parentheses which are required when you mix AND and OR conditions.

I had already refined Jones and Smith as descendants of a common progenitor but I can't ensure that the females who have either of the married names are not in fact married to a Smith or Jones in whom I have no interest.

Not sure what you mean by "refined" , maybe "defined"?? If your actual goal is to identify only those people who are direct descendants, plus spouses, of a given person, I suggest a better way in TMG is to use a Focus Group.

Start with an empty Focus Group and add the common ancestor. Now with that person still selected in the Focus Group, check Descendants for the desired number of Generations, plus check Spouses, and with one click Add all these people to this Focus Group. (I would probably Save this Focus Group of people with an appropriate name for subsequent use.) Of course, descendants of a female who married will include the descendant children etc. with her husband's surname, which may not be what you want.

Alternatively, if you have some how identified a group of people based on their surnames, and simply want all of their spouses added to that group, you could again use a Focus Group. Filter the Project Explorer for your group. With an empty Focus Group, Right-Click in the filtered PE and "Add all names to Focus Group". Now in the Focus Group "Select All", check "Spouses". A single Add Others click will now add all these peoples' spouses to this Focus Group.

Now that you have these descendants and their spouses identified, run a List of People report Filtered by this Focus Group, and use the Secondary Output to set a unique Flag value for these people.

Finally in Second Site set the option in Data//People to "Include" based on this Flag value, or create a Pages//User Items//Custom Index based on this Flag value, or whatever else you want to do in Second Site using the Flag which identifies these people.

Apart from using SS I presume that if I make a flag for the above filter I could then produce a TMG report?

Yes, but as Jim and Terry warned, some TMG reports (such as various Ancestor and Descendant reports) intentionally generate information about many people based on the focus of the report being a single person. So be careful about which type of report you are generating.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I had been inspired by a book by Reigel, Terry: A Primer for The Master Genealogist, where at p. 72 he describes this wonderful tool called Secondary Output. This appeared to solve most of my problems.

You now mention a Focus Group. I remember when this was announced and I decided then that it would be of no interest to me, so I never looked at it. Accepting that my judgment was, as always, too hasty, and seeing that it is dealt with in the above mention primer for the befuddled, I'll spend a wet afternoon playing with it.

Thank you all, but I'll probably be back with another foolish question.

I had been inspired by a book by Reigel, Terry: A Primer for The Master Genealogist, where at p. 72 he describes this wonderful tool called Secondary Output... You now mention a Focus Group... it is dealt with in the above mention primer...

John,

I highly recommend Terry's book and his web site for excellent introductory explanations of the many features of TMG.

Since you have his Primer, note that his discussion of using Filters begins on page 61.

In addition you should review his on-line description of TMG filters which also discusses both Secondary Output and the Focus Group. That page can be found here:

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Filters.htm

Thank you all, but I'll probably be back with another foolish question.

No question is foolish if you don't know and truly want the answer. So keep the questions coming, John.

Hope Terry's explanations give you ideas,