Sign in to follow this  
Glaffy

TMG 9.05 Input file read failure

I recently got version 9.05. I imported from my old version 7.04 and everything works fine, BUT when I try to back up... create .sqz file, I get this message before the back up is finished: "Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another process."

Please help!

The ZIP file error usually occurs when you try to backup to a destination other than your hard drive.

You don't 'import' updating a v7.04 project to v9.05... You restore a v7.04 backup or copy a v7.04 project to a v9.05 project folder and simply open the project.

Is the destination folder being monitored by some automatic backup facility? If so, that will interfere with the writing of the backup.

This same problem has just appeared after a Windows 10 feature update. Just backing up project files, accents and filters only, using backup folder on system drive and not including external exhibits hasn't helped. I'm having to keep my old Windows 7 workstation going just to reliably run TMG at the moment (happily was running them in parallel until TMG stabilised on the Windows 10 workstation). Thanks for any help!

I still suspect some background process is monitoring and interfering with TMG's need for exclusive control of the backup folder. Possibilities which Windows 10 (re?)installs by default are "Windows Defender" and especially "OneDrive".

Your comment gave me the clue for a fix to this one - and you must be absolutely correct that something is interfering with the Windows 10 system drive - although I've no idea what the culprit is. I've got OneDrive at as arms length as possible, without actually uninstalling it (that might yet happen) - and the same applies to Windows Defender. After looking through many other possible processes I couldn't identify the cause - so decided to try and side-step it. Accordingly, I redirected the backups to an internal data drive (a standard RAID array) and immediately, backup worked again. Many thanks for the clue!

Edited by brasso

Ahhh!!... You didn't mention that you were not creating the backup on an internal data drive. As I mentioned TMG needs exclusive control of the backup file when it is running. Software drivers for external drives, most notoriously for thumb drives, often interfere with actions to these external devices, attempting to buffer the activities among other things. There have been many posts on this Forum and the TMG-L list over time strongly recommending that backups always be made to internal drives, then copied or moved to some external device if desired. So this "fix" makes total sense.

Glad I could give you a clue as to where to look,

Apologies for not being clear - I'd actually been trying to create backups where TMG seemed to want them to be - on the main internal system drive (C:/). They're now working properly on a dedicated data drive (D:/).