Simple Picklist (Search) Sort Order Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Schnarps

Schnarps
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

When I go to the Simple Picklist (clicking the Search Icon) in order to find a person, I have recently noticed a sort order problem (Current Setting is Surname,Given Name, Birth Date but it does not matter, it appears in all settings like this):

Some of the names are displayed with a comma between the surname and the given name, and some are listed without a separating comma, resulting in a sort order problem. For example for the surname RIESZ the order looks like this:

Riesz Sigmund

Riesz Simon

Riesz Theodor

Riesz, Alexander

Riesz, Edith

I.e. the comma-separated names appear after the non-comma separated names.

Did I inadvertently change a setting? I'm stumped. Thank you.

#2 Terry Reigel

Terry Reigel
  • Moderators
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I would suggest you look at the name tags of those who do not have a comma. I suspect you have entered both surname and given name in the surname field.

Terry

See my Tutorials and Articles on using TMG at tmg.reigelridge.com

The Second Edition of my book, A Primer for The Master Genealogist, is still available
. For more information see my website.

#3 Schnarps

Schnarps
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Thank you, Terry. Unfortunately this is not the reason. In fact, the overwhelming majority of names appear without commas, only very few even now have a comma separating them. I changed the name style to a custom name style but again the style is the same for comma-separated and non-comma separated entries. Given names and surnames are entered in the correct fields with the surnames appearing in capitals in the Person View, just as I defined it in the Preferences.

I have run maintenance and optimization on my database, no change. Would you have any other suggestions? I'd be very grateful, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users