Michael Hannah

Windows 10 TMG 9.05 "not responding"

Okay, Jim, I give up

I have a new Win10 tablet and am trying to install TMG. It seemed to install (as administrator) just fine.

I then ran the program (as administrator) and it opened just fine, asked for unlock, and that was successful.

Exit and run as normal user. Opened just fine with the Welcome screen showing the serial number.

Attempt to open the Sample project. The screen clears and the Toolbars all display, but the program just hangs.

Task Manager says program not responding. Must abort the program through Task Manager.

No backup programs (I disabled OneDrive) and no virus protection yet installed.

Any suggestions? Help?

I am guessing this is some permissions issue, but where should I look, and for what?

Did you unlock as Standard user?

After unlocking running as Admin and exiting, I opened as Standard and it was already unlocked.

What do you mean no virus protection? Windows Defender isn't running?

Correct. Temporarily disabled for testing.

All of that is strange. I've been through 95+ builds of Windows 10 and have not had to do anything unusual with TMG (other than needing to use the Microsoft PDF printer driver).

I do unlock both as Standard user and as administrator. Win10 seems to require that. Then I run as Standard user and need no compatibility adjustments.

I also use Windows Defender on multiple systems running Windows 10 since it is a perfectly competent security solution.

To put things in perspective... I have absolutely no experience running TMG on a Windows tablet.

I wonder if it has something to do with being a tablet running TMG. Is it running in tablet mode? Do you have the option to switch from tablet mode? I've got a keyboard attached to mine so I don't usually run in tablet mode and I have not had a problem but then it was an 8.1 upgraded to Win 10.

Not sure what the problem was. Compatibility mode got TMG to at least open the Sample project so I could change program settings. However based on Jim's comment that TMG doesn't need compatibility mode, I opened Properties on tmg.exe and turned off compatibility and the program now runs just fine. Very strange, but I am not arguing with success. Just glad to be up and running.

For what it is worth, it is a tablet but I run in desktop mode.