robinkaspar

Privatizing gedcoms

This is a message I tried to send to the TMG-L list which may be down, I don't know.

I think I know the answer to this, but I’d like your confirmation.

I would like to privatize living people’s information in a gedcom export for Gedmatch. I poked around in the export and in the help, but I’m not seeing anything specifically related to that.

Is this possible in TMG or do I just need to edit the gedcom file? My gedcom only shows my direct ancestors, so there aren’t many living people left on it: me, my husband and my parents, so this is not a problem. But I do manage several DNA tests, so I would have to do this multiple times...

Robin in Short Pump

In the Export Wizard, there is a privatize option on Step 5: Option screen 1.

[ ] Suppress details for living people

On Step 7: Option screen 3, there are two privatize options that are unselectied so these items are excluded from the export by default.

[ ] Show Excluded Data

[ ] Show Sensitive Data

btw... Nothing is more useless than a tree used for DNA matching that doesn't provide data all the way to the person with the DNA data. You can limit the data by what is included in the GEDCOM if necessary by directly editing the GEDCOM before adding to the site.

In the Export Wizard, there is a privatize option on Step 5: Option screen 1.

Select '[ ] Suppress details for living people'

On Step 7: Option screen 3, there are two privatize options that are unselectied so these items are excluded from the export by default.

[ ] Show Excluded Data

[ ] Show Sensitive Data

btw... Nothing is more useless than a tree used for DNA matching that doesn't provide data all the way to the person with the DNA data. You can limit the data by what is included in the GEDCOM if necessary by directly editing the GEDCOM before adding to the site.

Thanks Jim, I agree. And I have no problem with my own data, but since I manage multiple family members' tests who may not feel the way I do, I think it's prudent to at the very least, get their birthdates/places out of there. Guess I missed that suppress details check box.