Sign in to follow this  
JohnR

Individual Narrative Report/Preview or with sources

I've never actually noticed that the Individual preview report lacks the person's parents and there doesn't seem to be a way of sticking them in. I only noticed this with an unamed child, the details of whom I want to send to the co-author so that we can discuss the interpretaion of the sources. What I want is "(Child) Sewall, child of John Doe Sewall and Jean Doe Sewall, was born ..."

Individual Narrative of (Child) Sewall

(Child) SEWALL was born circa 27 August 1825 in Boston, Massachusetts. He/she died on 15 September 1825 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Now there must be such a report lurking there, which I haven't yet discovered, or that I'm too senile to work out how to construct one.

John

Make sure that the variable is in the Birth sentence. You can tack it on to the end if that works for you or use some other arrangement.

On the basis that every child has a PAr, that seems logical. Thank you Jim.

The default Birth sentences do not include the [PAR] variable. While adding the variable works in the Individual Narrative report, it adds excess verbiage in the Journal report.

This is a great idea; I am wondering if there is a similar technique that could print out children from a marriage in the Individual Journal Report; e.g in the marriage tag sentence structure [P] married [PO] <[PARO]> <[D]> <[L]> [CHILDREN]

There is no such event sentence variable. Keep in mind that relationships are in no way tied to marriages. You could make all children of a couple witnesses to their Marriage event (with a role such as Child) (assuming that the event exists) (and that the children have some connection to the event) and construct the Marriage sentence to output a list of those children. You'll quickly get into cases where this is not appropriate.

Check Help / Variables (Event Tags) for a listing and description of all event sentence variables.

The lack of showing parents in the Individual Narrative is one of many reasons why most of us use the Journal report to send information to others. Generally I find that report reads better and is more complete. Note that if you insert the [PAR] variable in the Birth sentence it will output that data in all narrative reports, where often it is redundant.

Jim's pointer to the HELP file of TMG for sentence variables is very appropriate. But if you want even more "gory" details, you could check the entire section discussing Sentence Variables in the Tag Sentence Details chapter of my on-line book about customizing TMG.