Gloria McGough

TMG 9.05 no longer works with Windows 10

On or about November 15th (following an update to Windows) I could no longer open The Master Genealogist

The program icon changed to a "white page" and I receive this message "This APP can't run on your PC"

I had TMG version 9 and the .5 or 05 that was provided later. I have had no problems running TMG until this happened.

Do I dare uninstall and reinstall? I have saved all my programs/projects as back-ups and also have the sqz files.

Run the TMG v9.05 installer and select [Repair].

If this doesn't work, I'd guess that some external application is blocking TMG. There should be no Windows 10 issue per se with TMG.

You need to enter your registration information both running as standard user and running as administrator.

The information needs to include your name, email address, and registration number exactly as received in the conformation email received from Wholly Genes.

You unlock as administrator by right-clicking on the program shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'. After unlocking, exit TMG.

I have a similar niggle. I'm using 9.05 under windows 10. Every so often, say about once a fortnight, on attempting to load TMG I am presented with the registration screen. I fill in the details and I'm back up an running. As I said, it's just a niggle but slightly unsettling never-the-less. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

I've had a similar persistent problem. TMH 9.05 works fine on my Desktop running the latest update to Win10. However, whenever I try to restore a backup to TMG 9.05 running on my laptop (with Win10 latest update) I get a message saying "there was an error opening the data tables". This happens every time. I've tried running as a user and as an administrator, uninstalling and reinstalling, and running "Repair" etc etc but the laptop problem won't go away. I use the same antivirus on both machines.

When you right click the icon, apart from "run as administrator" there is an option to check compatability. I used this on my laptop version and ran in in Win 7 mode. It works!

Edited by RuthAppleby

Ruth,

You are not being clear. Are you saying that you have a problem or that you had a problem and found a workaround?

Normally, "there was an error opening the data tables" means that you have a damaged project.

You shouldn't need to run TMG in Win7 compatibility mode under Win10. If that is working as a workaround, then there is something else going on. However, any trick that works to keep TMG running as the operating system evolves is worth knowing.

Jim

Jim

What I am saying is that (on my laptop) TMG would not open data tables from a restored backup from my desktop. However, when I ran TMG on the laptop as compatible with Win7, the program worked and the data tables (restored from a backup on my desktop) opened without a problem. I don't pretent to know why - only that it seems to work. It might help someone else to stay with TMG.

Ruth