Sign in to follow this  
BarryButler

Technical Assistance - Project File PJC contains no data

I last worked on TMG 22/12/2017 or 24/12/2017. Issue with Windows meant that Windows Repair was required. After Windows Repair, I wasn't able to access my project.
I tried to select the recent project but it was greyed out. The only option available was the sample project.
Trying to open the project ’My Project New_.pjc’ shows as a project - but has a file size of 0 bytes.

I am able to see that my project information is still available, but as CDX files and DBF files. I don’’t have a PJC file (with data) to actually open the project.

Thanks – and I look forward to your assistance.

Take the .PJC file from your last backup and add it to the folder with the current project.

If you can't do that, I can create a dummy .PJC file for you.

Thanks Jim. Good thinking.

Forgive my naivety in terms of tech knowledge, but I assume the information in between my last back up and the last work I did, despite being saved in the existing CDX and BDF files, will not carry across to the back up PDF... or does the PJC file just access the CDX or BDF file?

The PJC file is just pointers to the many data files plus some configurations. Check your Preferences carefully after loading a new PJC file. If you use the one from your backup it should be good. A PJC file is just a text file so you can view it in Notepad or something to see what it contains.

As Michael said, the PJC file has information about the current state of the project plus the project settings. The PJC file from your last backup should work just fine. Check the project section of the Preferences once the project is running to confirm the settings and paths.

The SQZ backup is a ZIP file. You can open it by right-clicking on the file and using 'Open with' to select a ZIP file utility. Alternatively, you can change the filetype to ZIP and browse the file with File Explorer. You can copy the PJC file to your Desktop and then drag it into the folder with the current version of your project.

Thanks Michael and Jim. OK. I have copied the backup PJC file across to the project folder. I am having an issue whereby selecting this PJC file (as it did for the empty previous one) takes me back to searching the Program/TMG v8 folder for a PJC file. I have also copied the PJC file to this TMG v8 folder, but it returns to the same spot. It just feels like an endless loop.

I am concerned that settings and paths you've mentioned Michael are not correct, but I don't quite know how to read it (I can see it in Notepad, but I don't really see anything wrong)?

It's fairly simple. The set of files for a project (48 Files total, PJC file, 29 DBF files and 18 FPT files) must include a project (PJC) file. And when you open the project, you must select the .PJC file in that folder.

The default projects folder location for TMG8 would normally be...

c:\users\(your user account name)\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\projects

You might have the project in a folder under the projects folder depending on how you organize your projects.

From the Welcome screen, use [select] and browse to the correct folder and select the PJC file.

Hi Jim

I have no issues navigating to the PJC file, but when I click on it, it just takes me to the projects folder in File Explorer - without actually opening the PJC file. When I try to click on it again, it just takes me back in a loop to the same screen.

Have you heard of this issue before?

I am a little concerned that I am not going to be able to access it. I have had my more tech savvy son look at it, and he is having the same issues.

I have no idea what you are saying.

Delete the .CDX files. Then make a ZIP file of the folder with the project and send it to me or make it available for downloading.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Just in case...

To open a project, you run TMG. From the Welcome screen, choose [select]. You select the project you wish to open (browsing to the correct folder first if necessary) and click [Open}. When you click [select], the dialog will open looking at the default projects folder, so you shouldn't need to browse unless the project is in another folder.

You can also use File / Open to open a given project when TMG is running.

File Explorer normally is not involved in opening a TMG project. (A project can be opened by double-clicking on the .PJC file from File Explorer if the PJC file association is with Tmg9.exe. This opening method is unnecessary and not recommended.)