Sign in to follow this  
Dan Truong

Sentence Structure for Note Tag with Quotes

Now that I am using reports a lot more, I find myself wishing I had paid more attention to sentence structure. One recurring problem is note tags which contain quotes. The note tag sentence structure consists of "[M]" An example is a note tag (with a single source) with the sentence:

The 1910 census lists his occupation as "Grain salesman, feed store."

When I generate a report with this sentence I get:

The 1910 census lists his occupation as "Grain salesman, feed store.32"

where "32" is an endnote.

I have been trying to figure out how to get the sentence structure to generate a sentence with the endnote outside of the quotation mark, e.g.

The 1910 census lists his occupation as "Grain salesman, feed store."32

I have looked through Terry's Tips and didn't find anything relating to this particular problem. Would anyone have any ideas?

thanks

You have to "trick" TMG into not realizing that the quotes are quotes, so that it does not perform its end of sentence processing including them.

Use the ASCII keyboard codes for the two quotes.

For left double quote, hold down ALT while entering 0147 on the numeric keyboard.

For right double quote, hold down ALT while entering 0148 on the numeric keyboard.

You only need to do this trick if the quotes are the last thing in the sentence.

Hope this helps,

Does this fix also apply within Second Site?

Thanks

Bob Fleck

The problem does not affect Second Site. SS will put the citation references after the last visible character in the output. If you use the "curly quotes" as described by Michael above, SS will still work fine because the curly quotes are visible characters.