Sign in to follow this  
Jim

ID numbers

I have a couple of questions relating to ID numbers.

1. Can an ID number be changed once you add a new person if I made an error?

2. The reason I ask this question is when I added a new person, I inadvertently changed the next unused default ID number but did not notice it right away. Now every time I add a new person, the program wants to use a number that is the next number in sequence to the number I screwed up. Now when I use the F2 key to see what the next unused ID number, it has 2 groups of numbers. The remaining numbers (the ones that should be there) but after that another sequence of numbers starting with the number I messed up.

An example may help: When I now hit the F2 key it lists to groups of numbers, 3000 thru 4000 but after that it starts with another group starting with 30002999 thru 30004000.

Is there any way of deleting that last group of numbers or do I need to renumber may whole data set?

Sorry for the long question but I have no other way of explaining it..

Jim

Jim,

You have two options under the Tools > Renumber People command: 1) you can renumber one person or 2) you can renumber all people.

The first will do exactly what you want, but may be a bit of a chore depending on how many people you need to renumber.

The second will also solve your problem, but if there are gaps in the numbers assigned the rest of the people in your Project those with numbers above those gaps will be renumbered to fill the gaps. This may or may not be an issue for you depending on whether you make use of the existing numbers in other contexts.