Sign in to follow this  
kwischhusen

Transferring v 7.04 to new computer

I have been using TMG v. 7.03 forever. My computer was so old that the updates would no longer work. I got a new computer for Christmas and need to transfer my files of v. 7.03. Can anyone please tell me how to do this? How do I install this onto the new computer?

Is there a way to unlock the new v. 9 to allow my files to transfer? How do I transfer everything? Zip? Flash drive? I don't really understand a lot of this, but as you can imagine, there are many years worth of work here that I do not want to lose! My son is helping me so please be specific. I am so nervous I will lose information! Thank you for any info or insight.

Edited by kwischhusen

The automatic update feature doesn't work since Wholly Genes stopped supporting TMG; it has nothing to do with the age of your computer.

You have two choices. If you want to stay with TMG7 you will need the TMG 7 installer. It is available in several places, which we can direct you to. You will also need your TMG7 serial number to unlock it.

If you want to update to TMG 9 you can do that. Links to the installers, and to Harry Goegebeur, the only dealer with TMG 9 unlock codes for sale, are on in this article on my website.

Directions for moving your data are in this article.

Thank you, Terry. Where would I be able to find the TMG7 serial number? Is it in the program somewhere? There is a very long # with letters and numbers in the start up screen of my TMG - is that it? We have gone through remodeling and I have no idea where I would find anything related to this program anymore. Without that serial number would I then have to go to v9? How do I update to TMG 9 so that I can install v9 on my new computer? I am sorry for all the questions and I really appreciate your help.

If you are running a registered version of TMG7, the registration information is shown on the Help / About The Master Genealogist screen. You need all of the information shown... the first and last name, the email address and the registration number.

The registration information can also be obtained by writing TMG support (support@whollygenes.com).

This topic provides a download link and how to purchase a TMG9 license.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?/topic/15915-tmg9-final-installers-v905/

Thank you Jim. I found my information and seriel #. Versiion 9 is installed on my new computer but if I am unable to upgrade my v7 TMG to version 9, can I run the old version on the new v9? If so, what is the best way to transfer all the data safely? I don't know how to make the two compatible. Is there a way to download a v 7 for the new computer? I appreciate your patience - I am not a computer whiz! By the way, I have tried numerous times to contact Harry Goegebeur for a TMG unlock code, but he has never responded so I cannot rely on that. Thank you again.

I'm not sure what you mean about upgrading TMG 7 to TMG 9. There's really no such thing. Either you install TMG 7 on your new machine, using the unlock information you found, or you buy a TMG 9 serial number from Harry and install TMG 9. Moving your data is the same either way. See my article at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/new-computer-version.htm for detailed instructions.

If you install TMG 9 it will convert your data to the new format when you Restore it in TMG 9.

If you want to install TMG 7 you can find the installer on the Roots User Group website, at http://www.rootsusers.org/install.html

Several people have had difficulty contacting Harry by email. In most cases he has responded but his replies are lost. Send me an email from my website that includes your email address and I'll make sure he gets in touch with you.