robinkaspar

Citation suggestions for ftDNA matches

Boy, do I miss the Rootsweb list! Hope everyone has migrated over here in the meantime.

I've been having a fairly unproductive conversation on the Family Tree DNA group on Facebook about citing a Family Finder match in my DNA Match tag.

What I do for Ancestry matches is to include the URL to the person's match screen or their profile screen. Ancestry doesn't make it easy to find people again (especially those distant cousins that are 30 pages in), the "Favorite" star notwithstanding. So the URL is the only way I can easily get back to a person.

For Gedmatch, I include their kit number.

But as far as I can tell, Family Tree DNA doesn't use any kind of ID or kit number, and I'm at a loss for how to include a match locator in my citation. For right now, the person I'm working on is front and center on the first page of my match list, so she's not likely to get lost, yet. But in years to come, who knows, maybe more close cousins will test and she'll drop to the second, third, page, etc. I realize that this locator is only for me. Other people aren't going to be able to find my matches just by searching on whatever I decide to use for a locator. But I'm considering adding a screenshot as an exhibit. I don't normally use exhibits due to my perception that my .pjc file would balloon in size, but this seems like a no-brainer.

Have any of you encountered this and come up with a solution that works for you?

Robin in Short Pump

You could use the matched person's kit number.

Link the screenshot as an external image exhibit. That only adds the record in the exhibit file to the project (probably less than 100 bytes plus the thumbnail image).

(You shouldn't be adding image files as internal exhibits in any case.)

My point is that ftDNA does not use kit numbers, other than as your own login. I suppose I could email her and ask for her kit number, but that's not anything that can be searched on in the match list.

Boy, do I miss the Rootsweb list! Hope everyone has migrated over here in the meantime.

Robin,

The TMG list on Rootsweb is alive and well so far as I can tell. At least there were posts there as late as the middle of last week. However it looks like if you are currently not subscribed you can't become subscribed until the mailing list pages get back up on Rootsweb.