Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cummings

Backup Exhibit Files

TMG V9.05

I have the following path set up for external files: E:\TMG Exhibit Source Repository\ and 3 subfolders named "Audio Clips", "Images People" and "Images Other" in which the particular files are placed. For many years, have only had "Images People" files. Just started to put files into the "Images Other" sub-folder. Can look at the "Properties" --"Info" and all is ok. In other words both paths work ok.

In the "Files">"Preferences">"Current Project Options">"Advanced", the "Exhibit Folder" shows: "E:\TMG Source Repository/Images People\". When I now do a backup, the Images in the People files folder are saved as before but the Images in the Other Files folder are not saved. Before I changed anything, thought I would check first. Must the Exhibit Folder path end with the sub-folder containing the files or will changing the Exhibit Folder path to "E:\TMG Source Repository\" allow access to all three sub-folder files?

A minor point (since it has been working) is that even though the Advanced root folder name is "TMG Source Repository" and the actual name is "TMG Exhibit Source Repository" backup does save the Images People files!

While TMG backup will back up exhibits irrespective of where they are located, TMG restore cannot restore exhibits to multiple folders. Because of this, there is no point to making a backup with the exhibits when the exhibits are located in multiple folders. You need to manage your exhibit files outside of TMG.

If exhibits are located in multiple folders, Validate File Integrity has the necessary options to update the exhibit paths if they are not correct. You need to use the external exhibits feature and have the root exhibit folder in the exhibit path list and click the [search in subfolders] option.

Thanks for the information. Looks like the options are: put all my exhibits in one folder (then backup/restore works) or keep the multiple folders and backup them separately. Will have to think about this!

Joe

Joe,

I suggest you use the second option. There is little point in backing up exhibit image files, which rarely change, every time you do a backup of your TMG data. Doing so needlessly expands the size of your backup files and the time it takes to create them. You should have a backup plan for all your important data, not just your TMG data. Include the exhibit files in that plan.

Thanks Terry. Would lean in the second direction since I have already associated many images to the Images Other sub-folder. This approach leads to another "Report" question an will open a new topic on that.