chornung

Descendant Box, Ancestor Box & Hourglass reports cause hang

Accidentally posted this in TMG8 forum, so am recapping here to continue:

[TMG 9.05, Win 10 desktop] When I go to generate a generic Descendant Box, Ancestor Box or Hourglass report, the screen flickers a bit, then almost all menu items become grayed out and the only way I can exit TMG is by Task Manager > End Task.

I haven't tried every single report, but the others appear to work fine. I've tried restoring the three problem report .rpt files from a backup, but those three still hang. Have Reindexed, Optimized, as well as tried to generate those reports with several different people. Before I do a re-install, I thought I'd pick your brains. Anyone else encountered this? Suggestions?
=================
[Jim Byram] You're talking about VCF charts that are different from any other type of TMG report. Run the TMG v9.05 installer and select [Repair]. If that doesn't work, temporarily disable real-time scanning by your security application and see if that works.
=================
[Carol Hornung] Tried both suggestions, with complete shutdown following, but problem persists. Would welcome other suggestions/next steps. Thanks.
=================
[Jim Byram] The only other thing that I can suggest is to uninstall. Then delete the program folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9" And delete the installer folder "C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer" And reinstall. This will not affect your TMG data folders.
=================
[Carol Hornung] Discovered same problem exists with those VCF charts on laptop (second install of TMG v9.05, Win 10). Also when trying to generate those charts using Sample.pjc. Have completely uninstalled TMG, deleted folders as Jim suggested, restarted and reinstalled. No change.

If it makes any difference, a previously-saved .vc2 chart file opens in Visual Chartform without problem, with all menus functional.

No new programs have been installed on either laptop or desktop since Feb 14, when I last successfully generated one of those reports. However, I see where several Win 10 Security updates were applied on Feb 13.

Anyone else with 9.05 and Win 10 experiencing the problem generating those VCF chart reports?

Is there a antivirus application or other security application running on both of your computers other than Windows Defender? If so, that is a likely source of the problem. Also, any real-time syncing or backup of the project would be a problem.

I have no problems generating VCF charts on my system with the latest Windows 10 version and with all Windows updates current.

Lots of troubleshooting, but still no luck: As before (when was able to successfully generate all vc2 reports), I have McAfee up to date and running, and Windows Defender shut off entirely (through Group Policy). Have tested with all virus protection turned off, but made no difference.

Had Google Drive Updater running - hoping that was the problem, so turned off entirely, as well as OneDrive, so both are turned off - but neither was syncing live TMG, only certain non-TMG folders. Made no difference. Uninstalled/shut down/reinstalled TMG 9.05; still no change.

Used Charting Companion to get chart I needed for now. Leaving for out of town for two weeks (mother's 100th birthday!!) so have to put this on the back burner until I return. Maybe more luck then. Thanks for your input, Jim. To be continued...

Edited by chornung

McAfee has a long history of interfering with TMG. You need to exclude the TMG process in McAfee. What you exclude is...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9\tmg9.exe"

If you don't know how to do this, search the web for how to exclude a process in McAfee antivirus.

And McAfee has a history of creating problems with other applications. I would never allow McAfee on my systems and remove it when it comes with a new device.