I haven't tested a backup lately...and have a question: Please remind me what I need to consider if I'm restoring my most recent backup so that I don't lose any settings? Do I simply choose "Restore" and use the Wizard without making any changes?

Thanks!

Make your backup selecting "Backup Project" and select only project data files, accents and filters. Restoring that will not change any settings. (This should be your normal backup procedure.)

If you restore to a different computer, you need to check the project paths to make sure they are correct for that computer.

Also,,, If you just want to test a backup, restore it to a folder other than the folder containing the project that you have backed up. There is no need to overwrite a project to test a backup.

What about "Program Items"? Should they be backed up? I have unchecked External Exhibits, which I back up separately. How do I ensure that the restore is "good," or would I get error message(s)? Is just checking a few people enough?

The critical data in a backup is the project. Program items have nothing to do with a project.

Most items under program items are added by the program installation and never need to be backed up. Only items that you have added or changed need to be backed up and those can be backed up separately from the project (and they don't tend to change very often). You never want to add the Preferences > Program Options item to a backup that will be restored on a different computer. You also don't want Preferences > Program Options item in a backup that will be restored in a newer version of TMG.

All items under program items that you have added or edited can be recreated easily. On the other hand, the project files can't be fixed or recreated by users if they are damaged or missing. When thinking about backups, your focus should be on the project.

And you are doing the right thing by managing your external exhibits outside of TMG.

I think I've completed an appropriate restore successfully...but there was some confusion involved. :no:

?? Is there a step-by-step method listed anywhere for restoring data on an existing computer (as a test) and restoring data on a new computer ??

I've restored data on a new computer multiple times, but if I recall correctly, there was some "tweaking" required, most likely because my settings weren't quite right. At least the data was accurate. Whew!

I covered the fundamentals above. You need to ask specific questions as needed.

1) Use the Backup Project option to backup the project data files, accents and filters. Manage exhibits outside of TMG.

^^^ This is the critical backup and should be done every TMG work session. ^^^

2) If you do a test project restore, do it to an empty folder. There is no need to disturb an existing project to test a backup.

3) Use the Backup Customizations option to back up everything else. (You should't need to do this type of backup very often.)

4) Only back up those customizations that you add or edit. There is no point to back up customizations that are added by the program installer.

5) Do not restore the Preferences > Program Options customization (the app.ini file) to computers other than the one on which the backup was made. (You could make a customizations backup on each different computer.)

6) You don't want to restore the Preferences > Program Options customization on a newer version of TMG (although this issue is moot since there won't be a new version of TMG).

7) Lastly... Copy your backups off of your computer and store copies elsewhere... on a second computer, on a CD or DVD, in the cloud, at another person's house or at your worksite). You could even use USB flash drives but use two and alternate them. Make GEDCOMs. Print your data. Think about the disasters that might happen and plan ahead.

I'm sorry for my confusion, but I want to make this as easy as possible. Again, I've installed and reinstalled TMG on many laptops since 2007. I've always been successful, but sometimes I have to reset options. I would like to avoid that in the future if that's possible. :-)

1. I've been doing BACKUP ALL (the default option but without the exhibits), which you don't recommend; correct? Does it hurt to use this...or just take up more time (which isn't very long anyhow)? What's the downside? And if I use this, can I RESTORE ALL if it's the same computer?

2. Okay.

3. Are you saying to back up customizations separately...or include them in a regular backup occasionally?

4. Examples of the "customizations" to which you refer?

5. "You could make a customizations backup on each different computer": I don't understand this.

6. Moot point. Good. LOL!

7. I back up on Carbonite, store backup files in DropBox, and have backups on my computer (which, of course, could be lost). When you say "Print your data," do you mean in Reports? If so, they're always available. What good is a GEDCOM? Isn't too much lost?

1. I've been doing BACKUP ALL (the default option but without the exhibits), which you don't recommend; correct? Does it hurt to use this...or just take up more time (which isn't very long anyhow)? What's the downside? And if I use this, can I RESTORE ALL if it's the same computer?

3. Are you saying to back up customizations separately...or include them in a regular backup occasionally?

4. Examples of the "customizations" to which you refer?

5. "You could make a customizations backup on each different computer": I don't understand this.

1. I suggested backing up the project and customizations separately.

3. Again... Separately.

4. Run the backup wizard, select Bachup Customizations and look at Step 3: Options. The items that you can back up are self-explanatory.

5. Your setups on different computers can be different.

So I will end up with two separate backups. I guess that's why I've been doing BACKUP ALL, with the assumption that that covers everything. :confused: Okay, so I only back up the project each time I exit. That I understand.

If restoring to a new computer, you said "Do not restore the Preferences > Program Options customization (the app.ini file) to computers other than the one on which the backup was made. (You could make a customizations backup on each different computer.)" Why wouldn't I want the same customizations on a new/different computer?

Down to one question. I hope this thread helps others who don't quite get it!

As I said above, the program settings for different computers can differ. The program settings tend to be stable. I haven't changed mine for years. Why would you want to restore this file when you are simply moving a project back and forth between two computers (such as a desktop and a notebook)?

Backup is a tool and is best used when understood and when you have a particular purpose in using it. Blindly backing up everything and restoring everything is not a good practice, for example, when your objective only might be moving a project between two computers.

The problem is that most users blindly use backup and restore with little idea of what they are doing.

I guess I'm one of those who was blindly using backup without fully understanding what I was doing. It seemed very straight-forward based on the options offered. Okay, so I had to learn not to back up exhibits, but otherwise it seemed to make sense to back up everything so that I would have less "tweaking," especially on a new computer.

Thanks for taking so much time to help. I've made notes...and hope they make sense to me when I need them!

If you have a long-term habit of backing up everything and have done this through many TMG versions, then when you install a new installation on a new computer and restore everything, you are almost surely overwriting some files from the installation that have been updated over time with older versions of the files.

I only back up the project files with TMG backup.. When setting up a new installation on a new computer, I manually copy just a few files that I have created such as layouts and a few report configuration files over to the proper locations on the new computer. I have a folder of these files ready to be copied to the new system.

Okay, so if I'm reinstalling TMG, I first install the program. Then I restore just the project data and after that my customizations (unless I want to customize on my own)? I haven't changed much, tending to use defaults. I do have notes regarding path changes. Does that sound about right?

Only customizations that you have made (created or edited). And you can add the Preferences > Program Options if it's on the same machine.

To do a clean install...

Uninstall.

Delete the program folder...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v9"

Delete the TMG installer folder...

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 Installer"

Note that uninstalling TMG does not remove the three TMG data folders and there is no need to remove them. With this in mind, there should be no need to restore the project(s) or any customizations since those will still be there after the reinstall.