Judy M.

Suddenly unable to open TMG -- HELP!

NOW WORKING! BUT PLEASE SEE MY QUESTIONS!

For the first time ever, when I attempted to open TMG 9.05, after arriving at the screen that asks whether you want the program to make changes to the computer (in words or substance!), whether I clicked on yes or no, I immediately went to my desktop background with no icons...and couldn't navigate anywhere else, although my mouse arrow still responded. There was no error message. There was only one other program open at that time. I rebooted and had the same result. If, when I reached the same point, I used Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I rec'd the usual set of options, chose Cancel (I think it was), and was taken back to the one other program that was open. I checked my antivirus event log, and there was nothing indicating a problem. I don't know what else to check.

1. Should I be choosing Yes or No when asked about making changes to my computer? (I've been choosing Yes routinely.)

2. Any suggestions regarding this issue? TMG opened fine yesterday, and I didn't make any unusual changes to TMG (wasn't testing Restore -- an issue covered in another message) or any other programs yesterday.

Thanks...with the hope this isn't a major issue.

Edited by Judy M.

That started when this was happening:

Some users have reported that after installing TMG on Windows 8, or upgrading to Windows 10, they are often asked to enter the unlock code (serial number) even though they have done so before. This is caused by a change in a security feature introduced in Windows 8. The solution is as follows:

1. When asked for the unlock code, do not enter it but instead close TMG.
2. Right-click on the desktop shortcut for TMG, and choose "Run as Administrator"...and enter your administrator password if one is in use for your system:
3. When TMG opens and you are prompted for the unlock code, enter it and the name and e-mail address you used when you purchased the current version of TMG.
4. Close TMG, and then re-open normally. You should not be asked for the unlock code again.

Is this no longer necessary? Still, I've been running TMG as administrator for a long time with no issues. Perhaps today's experience was a frustrating computer glitch

If I do have to run TMG as administrator, should I choose "Yes" or "No" regarding changes to my computer?

The procedure that you quoted has you only running TMG as administrator for that single program session, not every time that you run TMG.

If I do have to run TMG as administrator, should I choose "Yes" or "No" regarding changes to my computer?

This is a security prompt and you must reply "Yes" for the program that you are trying to run as administrator to run. This happens with any program that you are trying to run as administrator.

You can't run TMG always as administrator unless you have made a permanent change in the compatibility options under the program's properties.

Odd that I haven't had a problem before. How do I disable running TMG as an administrator? When I right-click the desktop icon, there's an option to run TMG as an administrator...but not to undo that.

<< You can't run TMG always as administrator unless you have made a permanent change in the compatibility options under the program's properties.>>

Hmmm...back to how to undo that! I sure don't remember changing anything in the compatibility options!

You right-click on the TMG shortcut and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab and make sure that 'Run this program as an administrator' is not checked.

Done. Now...if I ever have to use my unlock code again, I change to administrator only by right-clicking the icon and choosing Run as administrator but not in the Compatibility tab; is that correct?

That's correct. You need to unlock both as a standard user and by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'. Once this is done, the registration information shouldn't be lost.

I have to unlock my TMG 9.05 every week after crossing a Sunday. Once unlocked, I am good for the week no matter how many times I open it. But once I cross Sunday, I have to unlock it again. My user account on Windows 10 is an administrator account. I had this issue on my old computer which was an upgraded Win7 to Win10. My new computer is a full new install of Windows 10 Pro.

You need to unlock TMG both as a standard user and as an administrator.

1) Unlock TMG running normally.

2) Unlock by right-clicking on the TMG shortcut and selecting 'Run as administrator'. Exit TMG once you have unlocked.