Judy M.

Have to run TMG as administrator!

Please don't give up on me! This is a problem, not a basic question.

1. I reset TMG so that I no longer run the program as administrator.
  2. I exited TMG and reopened it awhile later.
  3. Because I changed some tag settings, I wanted to test them, so I tried running a Journal Report. First I got a "Cannot update the cursor File_M, since it is read-only." "Ignore" didn't work. "Cancel" took me directly to a backup option. I had to say "Yes" or "No," and got "Unknown member REPROTECTIONMAN." My notes aren't as clear as I'd like, but I was unable to exit and got a dialogue box saying "Look in: The Master Genealogist v9 Folder," with the list of files beneath it. (Note that the other reports worked.)
  4. I finally went to the Task Manager to close TMG.
  5. Next I went through the Maintenance options. Everything worked...except for the optimization. It went to 100%, was unable to optimize, and displayed the path for the optimize.log.
  6. Since the only thing I had changed was to remove the requirement to run the program as administrator, I right-clicked the TMG icon and chose to run as administrator.
  7. The Journal Report worked when I ran TMG as administrator!

WHY...and should I just go back to running TMG as administrator, or is there something else involved?

Since there is never any reason to routinely run TMG as administrator something else is involved.

Try this. We've seen this problem.

Using File Explorer, go to the folder where your project is located. Select all of the files with CTRL+A and right-click and select Properties. Make sure that the Read-only checkbox is clear. (Checking the checkbox and then clearing it might help.)

It's nice to know I'm not alone. :-)

I did as you suggested and checked and then unchecked the Read-only checkbox and agreed that all subfiles, etc., should not be read-only. I reopened TMG and had the same problem. So I rebooted my laptop -- I still can't produce a Journal report, neither using Screen Preview nor the Printer.

Update: It's all narrative reports that are a problem.
Edited by Judy M.

This is worse than I thought. In addition to the above, I am unable to edit anything (tags, data -- anything at all!). And all I changed was eliminating running TMG as administrator in Compatibility! Maybe I should try going back to using that setting.

Will do. I'm glad I hadn't made any other changes other than removing the "Run as administrator" option! Any idea why this is making a difference?

What does that mean? What kind of "issue"? Could it be related to a Windows setting? Would reinstalling TMG make a difference do you think?

While people are quick to blame Windows for some TMG issue, the problems almost always come from somewhere else. The read-only issue comes from Windows 10 major version updates but, if you checked that and it's OK, then that's not the issue.

Make sure that your security software or syncing or backup utilities are not the problem. If you are using Windows Defender, then that's not a problem. If you are running some other security software, you need to set TMG to run without being run as administrator and then temporarily disable real-time scanning by the security software and then TMG. (McAfee and AVG have a history of causing problems with TMG.)

I'm using Carbonite for my backups. I tried white-listing TMG in my antivirus program, but that didn't help. Would that serve the same purpose as testing with a disabled antivirus program?

I wonder why I chose Run as Administrator in the Compatibility tab in the first place! I don't recall having a problem requiring that. When I had to Run as Administrator in order to avoid entering my Serial Number, I believe I used the simple right-click "Run as Administrator" method. And even if I accidentally went to the Compatibility tab to choose Run as Administrator, I shouldn't be having the report problem without that item!

Judy,

It depends on what "White listing" means to the software. Often is not the same as excluding that software from even scanning the entire TMG folders. White listing may exclude the software from looking at the executable program itself, but the software may still look at (and thus possibly interfere with) the data files when TMG is trying to write to them. That may now require Administrator privileges to "also" access the data files whenever this other program is scanning them.

As Jim has often said, in addition to entering the serial number as an ordinary user one should select to Run as Administrator, enter the serial number, then immediately exit TMG. One should now not have to Run as Administrator again. If one does, something else is going on.

If a user has to Run as Administrator, it is possible that instead of immediately exiting they continued to work on their projects while Administrator. In that case it is possible that some of the configuration and/or data files are now exclusively "owned" by Administrator, and running as an ordinary user now would not have the security privileges to access those files. Or yet something else could be going on.

Thanks for the additional information/explanation. To be honest, I don't recall what I did after running as administrator and entering my serial number, although my notes do say to exit TMG and reopen it after entering the serial number, so I'm assuming that's what I did. As long as everything seems to be working all right otherwise, I guess I'll just leave things as is. Thanks again!