Currently using TMG 9.05 on Win 10.

Using the Backup function and an error. I am using the Backup All Option on the Backup Wizard. I set the Compression to: Normal. The Wizard returns (after a minute or two) a message that says: “OLE exception error: Exception code c00000fd. OLE object may be corrupt” I can choose either: Cancel, Ignore or Help. If I choose Ignore it responds with a message saying, “Backup to G:\Genealogy\Backups\2012 September Final__7.sqz is complete.” The only problem is that there is no such file that exists anywhere on my PC.

I have run John’s excellent TMG Utility and checked the exhibit paths and all is good. I have also run the File-Maintenance-Validate File Integrity and everything came up clean as a whistle. I’m out of ideas on what else I should check.

Does anyone know what causes the exception error? Any workarounds?

Backup Message.jpg

Backup Message2.jpg

Run the TMG installer and select [Repair]. The control that the error refers to will need to be updated by repair.

And, after doing the repair, try the backup to the default TMG backups folder. And backup the project files, accents and filters only since the project is the critical data to backup.

Thank you, Jim for the suggestion. I have run the TMG 9 installer and chose Repair. I had tried to run the Backup without external Exhibits previously and that did work. After repairing TMG 9 that method also still works. However, backing up everything including external Exhibits still gives me the exception error and no *.sqz file in the default folder. Would a clean install correct this possibly?

A clean install should make no difference. If backing up exhibits specifically results in the error, then the problem is one of the exhibits.

Any thoughts on how to identify the bad exhibit? If the exhibits pass through John's TMG Utility and File>Maintenance>Validate File Integrity any clues on what I should look for? I have 8,886 exhibits attached it would be pretty onerous to delete them one at a time to find the one(s) that are buggering things up. Again I appreciate your help.

No ideas offhand. VFI checks the exhibit paths, not the exhibit files per se.

I'm not sure that TMG Utility would check the files either.

The Exhibit Log won't help since the preview is using thumbnails. You could turn thumbnails off in Preferences and then filter the Exhibit Log for all and run through all of the images. That would take some time.

If some of the exhibits are something other than images, then those will need to be checked with an appropriate utility or application.

The problem with using some external image utility to check the image files is that the file might be fine in the utility but fail in TMG.

With the huge number of exhibits that you have, this problem is non-trivial.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

First, the VFI log should identify the 110 missing exhibit files which may help.

The only thing I have used which sometimes finds my exhibit errors is Second Site.  If you build an Image gallery I think it actually accesses the exhibits to build thumbnails.  The error log from that software is usually pretty good.

Thank you for the response. I should have noted that the 110 missing exhibit files is an old image that I had. The missing exhibits were identified best by TMG Utility. As for Second Site I have recently updated an output file for my own use with everyone in the database (including living) and did not get any errors. So unfortunately I'm still stuck.

Currently I'm backing up the Exhibits separately and using TMG 9 to backup the database and other related files. I'm hoping to identify the problem because backing up everything with one file is far superior to bits and pieces if I ever have to rebuild this project again.

You commented: " because backing up everything with one file is far superior..."

Concerning TMG and exhibits I strongly disagree.  I believe it is always better to backup external exhibits separately from the rest of TMG.  And if you backup all external exhibits as a single backup file, and all of TMG except the external exhibits as a single backup file, you do not have "bits and pieces", you only have two backup files.  Further, typically exhibits are changed or added considerably less often that changes within TMG.  Thus the exhibit backup can be done less often, and the TMG backup can (and should) be done more frequently as it will be smaller and faster.

Combining both exhibits and TMG in the same single backup file can easily cause that single backup file to grow larger than the operating system can handle for a single file.  Several TMG users have encountered exactly that problem.

Just my considered advice from user experience,

I do appreciate your comments and you make some valid suggestions. However, in my own case I am still recovering from a HDD failure in Nov 2017. Part of what saved my bacon was a combined backup that included both exhibits and all other TMG details and database. As a result of finding that single copy that had backed up to a free account on Amazon I was able to recover approximately 90% of my exhibits and all but the last 3 months of my database changes. Still it has taken me nearly $2,000 and 5 months of tedious labor to replace the last 10%. Just FYI, I now backup both the exhibits and the TMG files daily. That is probably overkill but I'm a little gun shy now. My advice to anyone else listening is whatever you do, backup your important data regularly (no less than weekly) and in at least two separate places with one of those being in a separate physical location. Just my own considered opinion.

Try backing up to the default backup folder on the hard drive. That error typically occurs when trying to back up to an external drive such as a USB flash drive.