Sign in to follow this  
Mary L

deleting multiple sources

does anyone know of a quick way to delete multiple sources at one time?  I have separated my families into their own projects and when I imported all of my info into TMG9 all of the source dbs were put in each of my families projects.  So in order to clean up the source listings I need to "expunge" many sources from each of my projects.  thanks

The reason that sources can only be deleted one at a time is to prevent a source from being deleted that is linked to one or more citations. If that's the case, you get a warning when trying to delete the source.

There is a way to get rid of unlinked sources. Use the List of People, select all people in the project, and set the Options / Secondary Output to create a new project. Only sources linked to people in the current project who are being copied will be copied to the new project. It won't take long to go through each of your new separate projects to do this.

Hi Jim,

well I did some clean up on my .PJC sources and followed your directions for the List of People.  Unfortunately it did not make a new project.  I tried it with leaving the field name as the default "my project" and also changing it to another name.   When I go into the project the all the sources remain the same with several hundred with a "0" in the # of citations.

Specify a new project name with the full path in the report options. It can be located in the same folder or in a different folder.

Hi Jim...me again.  So I did as you said.  Here's what I see...when I choose to "select" a project when I am on the screen when I first open TMG, my list of projects are listed on the screen.  (I am trying to duplicate a project named "Sillman").  So I select my Sillman_.pjc project and the original project opens with the boo coo sources.  The copied Sillman project is not listed on that screen.  However, when I am on that screen and go down to the field at the bottom where there is "file" field and a drop down, I see my copied project (Sillman1_pjc) in the list.  When I click on it, I get a message that says it doesn't appear to be a valid pjc file.  The path is identical to all of my other projects that open when I click on them.  Again, thanks for any help.

Mary

First, it would help if you stored each project in its own folder. That would avoid much confusion.

When I click on it, I get a message that says it doesn't appear to be a valid pjc file.

That message is saying that the .PJC file for that project is damaged in some way. If you send me that .PJC file, I'll take a look at it.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram