Judy M.

Journal Report printing problem

Today I had 13 Journal Reports to save as .pdf files. I chose "printer," clicked "Create Report," and while "calculating text for x people" received a message "Unable to start the print job" and "TerPrint 2, Error Code 5."In every instance (13 reports!), when I tried again to print the Journal Report...I was able to do so. Very strange, IMO. In general, it didn't seem to matter how many people were included in the report, although when I tested VERY small reports, they worked. There was no problem with Descendant Indented Charts.

Meanwhile, I tried all the maintenance options (although I questioned whether they were even going to be helpful) AND I rebooted my laptop. Nothing helped.

Any idea what I have to do to avoid having to go through the process of saving Journal Reports as .pdf files twice? I would be happy to provide any other information that may help troubleshoot this issue...which has never happened before!

Thanks in advance.

You might try resetting the report configuration. This looks more like a printer issue. You are not trying to use the Wholly Genes PDF printer driver, right?

The fact that it works fine the second time is what's very strange. I'm using the Microsoft Print to PDF option and "Printer" as report destination. Where would I reset the report configuration...or is what I've told you so far correct?

You mean that you are using 'Printer' as the report destination and the Microsoft Print to PDF driver as the printer, right? I've experienced that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and have no idea why.

Jim, this is the first time this has happened since I purchased this Windows 10 laptop two years ago! At least it works on the second try, but I can't imagine what changed (unless a Windows update is the culprit).

On 5/28/2018 at 3:03 PM, Jim Byram said:

You mean that you are using 'Printer' as the report destination and the Microsoft Print to PDF driver as the printer, right? I've experienced that it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and have no idea why.

Anything new regarding this issue?

Judy,

I've never seen this issue because I never send reports directly to printer. Instead I always send them to Word, where I generally do some editing, then use Word's built-in PDF output to create a PDF or print. You might try that solution.

Something weird just happened. I chose Adobe PDF...and it worked! Wasn't that something that wasn't working with Windows 10? It's working now! I get the "Not responding" message, but in less time than when I was using the Microsoft Print to PDF driver as the printer, I would first have it fail...and then it would take a very long time for my larger journal reports to "print."

The Wholly Genes PDF printer driver works when you run TMG as administrator. (in other words, when you select the report destination as Adobe Reader (PDF)) It usually gives an error when you run TMG normally.

Jim, that's interesting. I just checked, and I am running TMG as administrator. Using Adobe Reader, I have to rename the file before I "print" the reporter, rather than after (as I was doing when I chose Microsoft Print to PDF), but I can deal with that. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be running TMG as administrator? Also,  I should be using Microsoft Print to PDF in Printer Setup?

Normally, there should be no reason to run TMG as administrator.

You don't need to use the Microsoft Print to PDF printer driver if you are using the Adobe Reader (PDF) output option since it uses the Wholly Genes PDF printer driver.

You do need to have a default printer driver assigned in Windows in order to generate any kind of report from TMG. The Microsoft Print to PDF driver can fulfill that role even if you never actually use it.

How many other apps do you run as administrator? <_<

Other than needing to deal with the security prompt every time that you start TMG, there is really no downside.

I'm not running any other programs as administrator.

To be honest, I don't recall what led to my running TMG as an administrator...but something wasn't working correctly and choosing to run TMG as administrator solved a problem. I could test it to see whether it's really necessary, but I'm so used to the security prompt when I start TMG, so it's no big deal. "No downside" makes me feel better. :) Thanks for your help!