BrownRoots

Missing "Primary" check box for exhibit photo

When I add a photo exhibit, there's no check box in the Properties window for that exhibit, so there's no way to make that photo appear as the primary image for that person. I have tried deleting that exhibit and adding it again, but still no check box.  How can this be fixed?

How are you adding the exhibit?  Exhibits can be linked to people, sources, event tags, repositories, citations and place records. If you are clicking on the Exhibit icon on the window for editing a source, event, repository, citation or place, the exhibit will be attached to that entity.  To link an exhibit to a person you should be viewing that person''s details and open the Exhibit Log itself either from the Tools menu or a toolbar button, then click on its Add button.  That will link the exhibit to the person and allow one of multiple exhibits linked to the person to be Primary for that person.

Also if your Layout includes the Image subwindow, double clicking on that subwindow will open the Exhibit Log itself for you to now Add a Person exhibit.

Hope this helps,

I had been adding photos to be associated with various event tags for a person. Then when I opened the Exhibit Log itself and saw all the photos, I thought I could choose one to be Primary.  I didn't realize that you have to add the Primary exhibit from the Exhibit Log itself.  I had noticed that if I entered the same photo as a link to more than one tag for a person, that photo would appear multiple times in the Exhibit Log, so I assumed that after entering a wedding photo that I had linked to a Marriage tag, I shouldn't enter the same photo again directly from the Exhibit Log because I thought I was doing something wrong if I had the same Exhibit shown multiple times in the Exhibit Log.  

I took your advice and entered the photo I want to be Primary directly from the Exhibit Log, and that solved the problem. The same photo is in the Log twice because I had previously linked it to an event tag, but I understand now that's OK.

Thank you for your fast reply! You just saved me from a lot more unsuccessful trial and error.

Yes, the same photo can be linked to people, sources, event tags, repositories, citations and place records, but you must do link each separately.  This is one of the best reasons to link the exhibits as "external" exhibits.  That way the photo is only stored once, but there can now be several different events or people, etc. linked to that same one photo.

Glad this helped you,