6rtury

Off-Topic - MyHeritage

I apologize for this very off-topic question, but not sure where else to go.

I thought I'd supplement my Ancestry data with a trial subscription to MyHeritage. After the trial I rec'd an email offering me, for a limited time, a 50% off 1-yr subscription. Went to the site and could find no such offer. (There was no discount coupon code in the email.) Called the listed MyHeritage help number twice. There was no answer or message and after 5-min the calls self-disconnected. I later found an email address for sales support and sent an email. Today I rec'd a reply asking me to send my tel. no. so someone could call me and help me get the special offer. Oh yes, they switched tel. systems (but no reason for the non-picked up calls.)

Now they already have my tel. number from my trial. Furthermore, I have a feeling that they would ask for a credit card number over the phone. Even though I use virtual numbers with a $$ and time limit, I don't feel good about the way they handle things. Am sure this is not a phishing expedition. Does anyone have experience with MyHeritage or know anything about them? I've found complaints and kudos on the web, but who knows how valid they are.

Thanks,

Judith

Never give your credit card number to someone who calls you. For all you know, a rogue MyHeritage employee is calling you when they are off-the-clock and they are going to rip you off.

I would never do business with MyHeritage because they have used some questionable sales tactics, such as making it hard to quit a free trial before automatic conversion to a paid subscription. The Legacy mailing list had a post this week about someone getting charged for something they didn't want, and it wasn't clear if My Heritage was part of the issue, or if the charge was legit or part of a scam. Careful!

I've had no problem with MyHeritage and use it as well as Ancestry and Family Search.  They've actually been pretty good about extending my subscription when I won a door prize on one of the Family Tree Webinar sessions.  I did complain when they and Family Tree merged because they were offering half price subscriptions for Family Tree users that did not already have MyHeritage membership.  Have you checked out the daily genealogical bargains website?  The links there work well and are legitimate.

As John says, don't give personal information to someone who calls you.

Sue

Thanks John. I had read the same. For my 7-day trial I did not have to give them a credit card number. Had I done so, however, I would have set up the virtual number for $1.00 so if I decided to cancel after the trial period,  any charge greater than $1.00 would be rejected. As it is, I thought of the same possibilities as to questionable charges and employees. Frankly, I was just as bothered by the non-working phone number from their cus. support.

Judith

CramerChronicles,

I hadn't, but just did. The only MyHeritage promo was for the MyHerigage DNA, which I don't want.

Thanks,

Judith

I've been a member for many years and have had no problems with MyHeritage. I find their DNA offering far superior to Ancestry and 23andMe. Their research is also excellent, a great supplement to Ancestry. One important factor is that they have a huge European membership and European sources that often are not available elsewhere. They have a pro bono program that recently offered free kits to more than a thousand adoptees and have just announced free kits to help reunite parents and kids in the border fiasco. They use FTDNA's lab.

Doris