Sign in to follow this  
bwebbman

Date changes automatically by one day randomly

Has anyone had an issue with TMG randomly changing some dates by (one day)?  Im using v 9.05.0000 and this problem has evident for several years.   I've learned to accept a one day discrepancy.  

Bert Webb

It would help to have a bit more specifics.  I take it not all dates are off by one day from your entry.  So what dates are affected?  Do they jump forward or fall back by a day?  I've not had any noticeable problem, but from you question I don't even know where to look.

Bert,

This is an unusual issue. If it was pure data corruption, the dates would not change in a regular way, i.e., they might all change to the first of the month, or all change to invalid date values. Changing by one day indicates the program is inspecting the initial value and then adding one to it.

Many programs store dates as an integer value based on a starting point. So, for example, if the starting point is 1 Jan 1970, and the integer date value is 17725, the date is 13 July 2018. However, TMG does not do that. TMG supports partial and approximate dates, and it uses a character format to store dates. So, 13 July 2018 is stored as "20180713" whereas "July 2018" is stored as "20180700". The "00" indicates no day number was entered. (The format is actually more complicated than what I have shown here. In order for the day to change, TMG would have to change "20180712" to "20180713", for example. That's not random, and that's why I don't think the issue is random data corruption.

I am not aware of any processes or features in TMG where dates are modified automatically and so I don't think the issue is a mis-configuration of some TMG feature.

I presume you have used the VFI command in TMG. If not, you should do that.

If you can provide any more details, that would help. For example, are the changes always in specific tag types? Does it happen for all date types, (before, after, circa, exact, between, etc.)?

John