Sign in to follow this  
Ann Shepherd

TMG project opens but “not responding”

I have TMG UK Gold 9 on Windows 7 Professional and have a very concerning problem at the moment, never encountered before. Up until late last night TMG was working properly as far as I could tell. The last thing I did with it was close my project (leaving TMG program still open) then created my Second Site output. I let that run overnight and my site appears to have been created correctly. (No error messages.) However since then I've been unable to get TMG to function. When I reopened my project this morning it looked normal but it won't function. Any action leads to a "not responding" dialogue box. I had to choose for the program to close.

I can start TMG and I can then also open my project which appears to be as normal with all icons apparently active. Everything looks OK when I open the project but as soon as I try to do anything at all (click on a tag, a name, anything on the menu, x to close, etc,) it greys out and I get the "not responding" message. TMG is completely greyed out (the whole screen is grey, not just some things on the menu).

With the "not responding" message there are two choices - close program or wait for program to respond. I've clicked wait and have waited up to two hours but still have a completely greyed out screen. I’ve tried closing the program choosing the close rather than wait option (I can’t close it from the normal X as I just get the "not responding" message when I try to do that). Have reopened TMG after this but the same sequence happens. Any attempted action in TMG leads to complete greying out and "not responding" message. (This is different to the partial greying out I've had a couple of times before when TMG freezes and "center current window" can be used. I can't click on "center current window" in any case.)

I’ve closed my computer right down and restarted it but this hasn’t resolved the problem. Have closed down everything except TMG. I can successfully open a different project in TMG and work in it as normal.

I do have a backup (would lose 6-7 hours of work) but am concerned that my approx 15 year old project which is very large is somehow corrupted. It's been suggested on the TMG-L list that I post here as perhaps Jim Byram may  be able to advise.

Thanks in advance,  Ann

Further to my message above. I should have said that I have TMG 9.05.

The situation has now changed. I last opened TMG and my project during the day yesterday. After trying to click in TMG and getting the "not responding" message I clicked "wait for program to respond" and left it sitting, with nothing else open on that laptop. (I have a windows 10 laptop I've been using for emails, internet and so on). Last night I went to the opera and checked TMG before I left. It was still greyed out. 6 hours later I came home and it was still greyed out so I sent messages to TMG-L and ultimately this forum. This morning (Australian time) I find that TMG is no longer greyed out and is apparently functioning. (All I've done with it so far is optimise-VFI-optimise. There were no problems found when I ran VFI.)

What this means is that it took TMG a minimum of 15 hours to respond after I opened my project.

Ann,

I'll check the project if you wish. Make a backup with nothing but the project files and put the backup somewhere I can download it. (I'm assuming that the backup will be too large to email.)

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram