Sign in to follow this  
hwince

Problem during Optimize

I am running TMG v9.05 under Windows 10x64. I have recently encountered an error during updating a person record. Therefore, I have run Optimize and encountered the following message: "Index file: 'r:...\my documents\my files\genealogy\projects\tmg version 9\ince\ince_ppv.cdx tag 'Placename' is corrupted. Please rebuild it." 4457 PCMHKSUM. Of course, I must admit that I have no idea where to start in "rebuilding" the "Placename" file. I would appreciate any guidance.

I ran File/Maintenance/Reindex, which completed without error. Then, before running any other "Optimize" analysis, I opened my Master Place List. There I found quite a few entries -- at the beginning -- which had entries containing information without any City, State, Country, etc. data. I have then selected "Edit" on the first entry, which shows how it appears in the Place record. Is there a way to determine the number of this "Place" record or where this Place entry is used, i.e., is there more than one record where this "Place" is used? I suspect that these early Place records, which do not at least have a Country entry should be considered for removal; but, I would want to know where/how often the place is used before doing that. Is there a "minimum" recommended entry which should be used for any Place record, such as "Country?" Thanks for further consideration/guidance.

You can see where a Place entry is used by clicking on that place record, then clicking the Events button on the right. A window with all the Event Tags that Place is used will open. Note that this will not include  any Repositories where it is used.

Thanks for that direction, Terry. I have used that to edit these Place records that appear at the beginning -- blank City, State, etc. -- so that all of them show nothing in the "Events" for these records. How do I delete/remove these Place records, since they are no longer used in the project?

You remove unused records with the File > Maintenance > Optimize command. If they are not removed that means they are used somewhere. I think the only place they can be used other than in Events is in Repositories, but Jim could verify that.

This issue is resolved. Thanks to all for your help. Terry, I did find some of the remaining Placename entries do still show nothing (no links) when Events is selected. However, I did find how to delete any not wanted. When I Select that entry; choose Edit, then "blank" the existing entry/entries, choose OK. Then, I get the prompt "You have deleted all of the elements of this place and all links to it will be deleted. OK?" This being what I want, I choose OK and the Place entry is removed/deleted.

And as a result you have probably deleted the place information from where it was being used. Did you check your Repositories as I suggested before deleting the place data?