Hi

I have several thousand exhibits in my TMG database

When I do a backup I find that 12 exhibits can not be found

When I study the log I see that this refers to only 2 unique exhibits which have multiple references - (Census images)

Is there any way in which I can ascertain which individuals have these missing images ?

Bob Matthews

Dunedin

New Zealand

Bob,

You mention that the exhibits were not found during a backup.  Are you really including your "several thousand" image exhibits within the TMG backup?  Almost everyone will encourage you to have your image exhibits at "external" exhibits, and to NOT include them within the TMG backup.  These are much better handled by separately backing up the exhibits folder using some Windows backup facility.

Michael

Just moved TMG v9 to a new computer. All seemed to be OK.

When backing up TMG v9, I am now seeing that 4 external exhibits are not found. Checked the backup log file then went to each instance of the exhibit file. Ensured that each exhibit file was properly pointing to the JPG file. Still got these 5 errors. Went back and tried to LOAD the exhibit files again. Still get the error. Finally I went into each of the file instances and DELETED each reference to the exhibit file, then redid them from scratch. STILL getting these errors .

My exhibit files are not stored in a single Exhibits folder as TMG wants. Instead, I have folders for each of the people in my data base where I store the pictures I use as exhibit files. 

I downloaded the TMG utility and used it to look at this but have not used it to actually FIX anything. NOT sure how to do that.

Here is the top part of my backup log file that shows the errors:

04-12-2018, 10:39:30 * TMG v 9.05.0000 ********************************************************************************
04-12-2018, 10:39:30 >OS - Windows 6.02, 6
04-12-2018, 10:39:31 >Backup file - C:\Genealogy\Backup\Projects\SchreinerFamily 2018-12-04 10-39-29.sqz
*  Missed Exhibits  *
image >8        - C:\Documents and Settings\ralphyost.RALPH\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\CharlesYost.jpg
image >12       - C:\Documents and Settings\ralphyost.RALPH\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\Charles&JamesYosJul3,1932.jpg
image >9        - c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\Yost\LorraineBAccardiYost.jpg
image >13       - c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\Yost\JamesCYost.jpg
* Not found 4 exhibit files.

I greatly appreciate your help !

thanks

R.

You see how the paths differ?

C:\Documents and Settings\ralphyost.RALPH\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\

c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\Yost\

Exhibits should never be located in the program folder.

Move any exhibits in the program folder to the TMG exhibits folder.

Then use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to update the exhibit paths.

Hi Jim

I agree. But my problem is that the files it is looking for in those locations do not exist there. And in TMG, when I look at the path of the exhibit files for JamesYost, (and the others) there are no exhibits pointing to those file locations. I am not currently using a file named JamesCYost.jpg  for example.

Somehow TMG has these erroneous paths and keeps trying to use them.

Here are the two people with these exhibit location errors (my mother and father):

http://www.theyosts.net/genealogy/Schreiner/p8.htm#i222

http://www.theyosts.net/genealogy/Schreiner/p10.htm#i300

The two exhibit pictures of James Yost are located here:

External image file
Full name: c:\Genealogy\YOST\JacobJostSr_Momper\BarbaraMomper\MathiasJost\JohannJost_Willet\FrankYost_Nye\CharlesAYost\JamesCYost_Accardi\JimYostAug21,2014.jpg
18,957 bytes,   08 Sep 2018 13:26:48
Format 180x254x24
Exif file containing a JPEG compressed image and YUV 4:1:1 color space.

External image file
Full name: C:\Genealogy\YOST\JacobJostSr_Momper\BarbaraMomper\MathiasJost\JohannJost_Willet\FrankYost_Nye\CharlesAYost\JamesCYost_Accardi\YostFamilyPortraitAug21,2014.jpg
56,496 bytes,   08 Sep 2018 13:25:48
Format 640x960x24
JPEG File Interchange Format with YUV 4:1:1 color space.

The exhibit file for Lorraine Barbara Accardi Yost is located here (same folder as James Yost):

External image file
Full name: C:\Genealogy\YOST\JacobJostSr_Momper\BarbaraMomper\MathiasJost\JohannJost_Willet\FrankYost_Nye\CharlesAYost\JamesCYost_Accardi\LorraineBAccardiYost.jpg
8,256 bytes,   16 Apr 2006 20:45:26
Format 120x195x24

I do not have any exhibits in TMG calling for the ones showing up in the error logs........hence my question.

thanks

R.

The third person, Charles Yost, is my grandfather. Here are the exhibit pictures for him:

http://www.theyosts.net/genealogy/Schreiner/p2.htm#i34

here is where TMG is currently pointing to those exhibit files

External image file
Full name: c:\Genealogy\YOST\JacobJostSr_Momper\BarbaraMomper\MathiasJost\JohannJost_Willet\FrankYost_Nye\CharlesAYost\CharlesYost.jpg
6,516 bytes,   27 Dec 2004 19:25:46
Format 238x303x24

External image file
Full name: c:\Genealogy\YOST\JacobJostSr_Momper\BarbaraMomper\MathiasJost\JohannJost_Willet\FrankYost_Nye\CharlesAYost\Charles&JamesYosJul3,1932.jpg
53,699 bytes,   02 Dec 2009 20:16:42
Format 576x800x24
Exif file containing a JPEG compressed image and YUV 4:1:1 color space.

All of these exhibit files are being processed correctly except that TMG thinks there are others with a bad file location specified. I am not telling TMG to look at the two locations that come up as errors:

image >8        - C:\Documents and Settings\ralphyost.RALPH\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\CharlesYost.jpg
image >12       - C:\Documents and Settings\ralphyost.RALPH\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\Charles&JamesYosJul3,1932.jpg

thanks for your help,

R.

Ralph,

I can remove those four records from your exhibits table if you wish. I need the name of the linked persons and the path of the four exhibits in order to locate them. You would need to send me the __I.dbf and the __I.fpt files (letter eye).

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Jim

I have a similar problem with about 25  exhibits that have been driving me crazy for over 20 years.  I can't even tell for sure who the exibit person is because they have  been shortened,  having been with me since the time when Windows file names were limited in the number of characters allowed.  I do recognize a few of the exhibits, and have chased them down with no kind of fix that I can see.  They refer to a drive that was on a computer long since gone.  If your fix for Ralph works, I would very much appreciate trying the same with my files.

I asked the same question back in 2014.  My exhibits have always been in an external folder, and I've done file integrity.  Nothing helps.

Thanks....Art Brown

I have had it happened several times and found a pattern. When I have exhibits for people but change the folder name, TMG cant find the exhibit and I get the exhibit error.

I do not put all of my exhibit pics into the single Exhibits folder that TMG suggests. If I did then this error would never occur. I have too many people in my data base to do that. I point TMG to the exhibit pictures in my folders which are specific to each person. My person folders are laddered according to the family relationship. In this case I have to go back to each exhibit in the renamed folder ladder and re-establish the link properly. After the link is established properly the error is gone.

The Exhibit errors that I received that really gets me is this one, which returns:

c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\Yost\LorraineBAccardiYost.jpg

I never place exhibit files in c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\  so I dont know why it points to that erroneous location. I am now getting this error all the time and it had been fixed once about a month or so ago!!

I do not have a folder c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist  so I dont know why TMG thinks this exists.

*  Missed Exhibits  *
image >9        - c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics\Yost\LorraineBAccardiYost.jpg
* Not found one exhibit file.

R.

Ralph,

TMG (for Windows) v6 and earlier stored the exhibits in c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\pics when installed on 32-bit Windows. The TMG program folder name varies depending on the TMG version. Your exhibit record would appear to be a remnant of such an earlier TMG version.

Validate File Integrity (VFI) has the tools to deal with multiple image folders and exhibit trees and can relink all exhibits when relocating exhibit folders. The only requirement is that each image file has a unique name. VFI can't relink image files in an exhibit tree if images of the same name are identified by different folder names.

For example... one image tree. The path of the base folder must be entered into the location table and then you need to click the [Search in subfolders] button.

Jim

Art,

I can delete the exhibit records. Follow my directions above. A copy of the Last VFI.log with the missing exhibits might also help.

Jim

15 minutes ago, Jim Byram said:

Ralph,

TMG 5 and  6 running under Windows XP stored the exhibits in  c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist (v5 or v6?)\pics. This would appear to be a remnant of that period or an even earlier TMG version (for Windows).

VFI has the tools to deal with multiple image folders and exhibit trees and can relink all exhibits when relocation exhibit folders. The only requirement is that each image file has a unique name. VFI can't relink image files in an exhibit tree if images of the same name are identified by different folder names.

For example... one image tree. The path of the base folder must be entered into the location table and then you need to click the [Search in subfolders] button.

Jim

Hi Jim

thank you for your reply and help (as always).

What is VFI  ????

How can I delete this remnant from TMG5 and 6 looking in c:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist ? I think I had this prior to your fixing my data base a few months ago.

thanks

R.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

If the exhibit record is erroneous, it can only be removed by editing the exhibit table like I did for you earlier.

Jim, can you tell me how to edit the exhibit table? I , crazy beginner years ago, put thousands of exhibits into my work. Now after changing folders they are all missing and I really don't want to "reconnect" them. I just want them gone.

I tried the Validate File Integrity, the program just hangs...

Edited by TrinityB

Does Validate File Integrity run to completion when the external exhibits feature is unselected?

If so, Validate File Integrity should be able to fix the exhibit paths by using the external exhibits feature. If you have the exhibits in a tree, you need to include the path to the base folder of the exhibits tree (this path only) and click the [Search in subfolders] button to enable this.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, Jim Byram said:

Art,

I can delete the exhibit records. Follow my directions above. A copy of the Last VFI.log with the missing exhibits might also help.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer.  Not sure that I saw your post of January 19 until now.  Anyway, my problem no longer exists.  I spent a bit of time on it, but can't remember now how it was fixed.  There were a lot of suggestions along the way.  Perhaps you did fix the thing for me back in January, and in my old age I just don't remember!   At any rate, thanks for your help to everyone over the years, for what was and is the best program ever developed for genealogy.  I'm taking my old Win 7 computers off line when Win 7 suport ends next January, but will contunue to use TMG on Win 7 as long as I can keep the old computers running.  My wife has Win 10 and it has been nothing but problems.

Art

TMG v9 runs fine for me under Win10. It always helps when moving to a new operating system to do a clean install of the operating system (after backing up your data). Reinstall all programs from scratch.

55 minutes ago, Jim Byram said:

TMG v9 runs fine for me under Win10. It always helps when moving to a new operating system to do a clean install of the operating system (after backing up your data). Reinstall all programs from scratch.

Thanks for that bit of info.  I have other software, some very expensive, that will not run on Win10, but with your experience there with TMG it's good to know that I can at least move TMG over to the new Win10 computer that I will have to procure soon.  I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur, matching all my old dinosaur computers.

Have a good day, Jim! 

Art,

The number one problem I have heard reported with TMG and Win10 is caused by the insistence of Microsoft to automatically include their cloud backup program OneDrive.  From my personal experience it is well worth the effort to follow available on-line instructions to at least disable if not totally remove that program from your Win10 computer.  If OneDrive is running at some point it WILL interfere with TMG.

Hi Michael, 

Thanks for that heads up.  I don't need OneDrive.  Can you explain briefly how the interference manifests itself, just so that I might recognize it if it occurs?

Art