wingfield

question about witnesses

hello,

I have a question about witnesses.  I'm guessing it'd due to a misunderstanding on my part about how witnesses work.  I've attached 2 files.

TMG_detail.jpg = shows a CEN-ENUM event with Clark Suggs as principal and John Sellers Suggs as witness.

TMG_spreadsheet.jpg = shows a witness report.  the orange highlighted line reflects the CEN-ENUM event represented in the other file.  in the spreadsheet it shows Clark Suggs as both the witness and the principal.

why is the report not accurately reflecting what I see in the program GUI??

thank you,

david

TMG_spreadsheet.jpg

TMG_detail screen.jpg

Hi David,

Your confusion is common.  The term "Witness" has multiple very different uses in TMG which is the cause of the confusion:

First, there are all the people who are linked to a tag whether by the two boxes at the top left or by using the Add Witness area in the lower right on the Tag Entry window.  In many cases TMG considers all of these linked people using the collective term "witnesses" to the tag.

There will be one or two of these "people/witnesses" to the tag linked by using the two boxes at the top left.  These linked people are also called principals, and by default are assigned the role "Principal" but may be assigned some other role.

Any people/witnesses linked by using the Add Witness area in the lower right are usually what most people think of as the (only) witnesses to the tag.  These linked people by default are assigned the role "Witness" but may be assigned some other role.

Your confusion occurs with the "List of Witnesses" report.  This report uses the first meaning above, namely all of the people linked to a tag are witnesses.  I suggest thinking of this report as a "List of Linked People" report.  So a person will be included in this report however they may be linked to the tag, and by whatever role.

I suggest your report would be more understandable if you added an additional column.  After "witid" and before "tagtype" include the column type "Witness Role".  You will see that a person/witness listed may have the role "Principal" in one tag and "Witness" in another, etc.  Thus they may be P1 or even P2 in that tag.

You could Filter the report by the condition Role does not begin with the text "Principal", but the report would still include people linked as a principal with some other role.

Hope this helps explain what you are seeing,

Michael

Michael,

I had to read it a few times; but then just modified the report and added the "witness role" per your guidance.  after that, it clicked.

thank you very much!

David        :D