I tried to run a quick pedigree chart yesterday and discovered that the b., m., d., bur. labels were not printing. Michael Hannah correctly pointed out that this report takes those labels from the General tab on the Tag Type definition screen, and those abbreviations were missing from my English (U.S.) screen. I tried editing this, but the edit didn't "take". The abbreviation disappeared when I closed the Tag Type definition screen. I went through my backups, restoring them to a different project folder, and found one with the abbreviations intact from three days ago. I exported those b., m., d., bur. tags and then decided to experiment a little with the test database. I opened one of those tag type definitions and inspected the sentences for each language, closed the screen, and the abbreviation for English (U.S.) had disappeared! I re-imported those tag type definitions, telling the import to overwrite, and that one tag type was imported, with its abbreviation. The abbreviation again disappeared when I opened the Tag Type definition screen and closed it. Other than using my Enlish2 language for these chart reports, I have no idea how to fix this.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is that I created an experimental custom language. The abbreviations are in the Tag Type definition in the backup before I created that language. However, the strange behavior when editing those b., m., d., bur. abbreviations happens with that backup. What should I do to fix this?

(TMG 9.05, Windows 7)

I'd suggest that you need to revert to the default language files and see if that corrects the problem.

The default v9.05 files are attached.

Open the C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 folder.

Copy your three modified strings.* files somewhere to preserve then. Then unzip the attached .ZIP file into the C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v9 folder overwriting the modified files.

See if this corrects the missing abbreviations.

If this doesn't work, then I would suspect some damage to the tag types data table.

language_files.zip

I have the file, Michael. Thank you. I also have two other strings* files: strings.bak and strings.tbk. Should I delete those, or are they reconstructed when TMG is open/closed or does some other magic thing?

No, I'm not using any real-time backup, etc. on my project folders. I've been checking out my travel/webinar computer, which also has TMG, to see if it has the same problem. It's database is a 9/19 backup. The abbreviations are there, and edits to English (U.S.) are accepted. Whatever happened to TMG on my work computer happened some time between 9/19 and two days ago. Is there anything from TMG on my laptop that I could use to fix my desktop?

I can check your T-table but I now don't think that is the issue. However, a damaged tag type record can cause edits not sticking. However something appears to be damaging the table on the fly.

You would need to send the _t.dbf and _t.fpt files.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram