Sign in to follow this  
Glaffy

Backup problem

When attempting to back up I get the following message right at the end of the back up:

Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another person.

I always de-select external exhibits when backing up, as that caused a similar error in the past.

Any suggestions?

You can get that message when backing up to an external drive. The solution is to back up to the default backup folder in your TMG user tree.

I am backing up to the default folder in the TMG user tree ( I think)

Here is the path it is generating:

C:\Users\gl757\OneDrive\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Backups\Laffy 2018-12-02 10-53-50.sqz       

This is the same path that other previously successful backups used:

C:\Users\gl757\OneDrive\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Backups

Edited by Glaffy

OneDrive, or any automatic backup, seems to be a major problem for many of us. If it runs while our files are open, they can be corrupted. 

Doris

THanks Doris,

When I ran the backup and deleted the words"onedrive" in the destination folder, it seemed to work.

The thing is, one drive seems to have come with this new computer, I didn't ask for it, nor want it.  I have carbonite.  How do I get rid of one drive without messing up anything?

Arrgghh One Drive saves everything in windows 10 I am finding out... having trouble figuring out how to make all the documents, pics, etc... save to just the PC and not one drive!!!

Open the OneDrive settings and disable it. Unselect the option to run OneDrive at startup. On a different tab, remove any files/folders that it's set to sync.

Any cloud sync/backup utility can corrupt your TMG database and  should not be allowed to act on any of your TMG user folders. Your TMG database should never be located in a cloud utility folder such as the OneDrive or Dropbox folders.

And as you found, you weren't backing up to the TMG user backup folder.

Even TMG itself is saved under OneDrive.

my TMG project is saved under one drive.

i had no idea this was even happening until today.  I hate windows 10!