Judy M.

Mother/wife duplication

I have a married couple, Morris and Sophie, in my database. Somehow Sophie also appears as Morris's mother, therefore Morris as Sophie's child. Both wife Sophie and mother Sophie have the same I.D. number. How do I remove Sophie the mother without losing her as Morris's wife.

I suspect there's an easy solution, but I don't want to accidentally delete needed information. I did perform all the maintenance options on the outside chance that would help, which, of course, it didn't. If try to delete the tag defining the mother/son relationship, I'm told, "Primary parent confusion." I agree -- there's confusion!

Thanks in advance for helping me solve this issue.

Judi,

As you were advised on FaceBook, though with somewhat confusing nomenclature, go to the Person view for Morris. Click on the Mother Tag two lines below his name, which should show Sophie as his mother. Delete that Tag.

Thanks for your message, Terry. I've been trying to do that. If I just hit the "delete" key, I get the message, "Primary Parent Confusion." If I right-click the mother tag, the "Delete this tag" option is grayed out. :(

I think what you need to do is to delete the ID number in the Mother tag not the tag itself.

You should be able to delete the tag, but if you can remove the wife's ID# from the existing tag that might do it. Alternatively, make the existing tag non-primary. It will then appear in the Tag Box below. See if you can then delete it.

Fouled up relationships can be difficult to fix and I might need to see your project to repair it. The problem is that child-parent relationships are stored in two different tables in the database and the data in those two tables need to agree. The issue can't always be repaired from the user interface. I've seen this in two different projects that I've repaired in the last month. I suspect that there are two primary child-mother relationships recorded and they might differ between the two tables.

As Terry recommended... Try selecting the mother in the child's person view and hitting clicking the primary (*) button to make the mother you see non-primary. If you can separate the two mother tags, then you can delete the wrong one.

I tried making the mother non-primary, but that hasn't changed anything. And if I try to delete the ID number, I get "The tag must have at least one principal."

I thought about creating a new wife, having her marry Morris (which should keep the children intact), and then deleting Sophie shown as Morris's mother...or somehow using a merge????

Edited by Judy M.

55 minutes ago, Jim Byram said:

Fouled up relationships can be difficult to fix and I might need to see your project to repair it. I suspect that there are two primary child-mother tags.

As Terry recommended... Try selecting the mother in the child's person view and hitting clicking the primary (*) button to make the mother you see non-primary. If you can separate the two mother tags, then you can delete the wrong one.

Do you want to see the project (if you promise not to laugh at my methods!!)? Is repairing it a big job?

You need to understand that in TMG, relationships only exist between children and parents. Marriage is not a relationship but is an event shared by two individuals. Deleting the relationship tags will have no effect on the Marriage tag.

You should go to the child and delete the child-mother relationship tag(s) and then click on the mother slot and add the mother's ID#. (You already said that you weren't able to do this.)

Like I said above, if you can't fix this, I might need to do it. These types of errors can be very persistent. You would need to send me a backup with projects files, accents and filters only or a link to download the backup. I'll need to know the ID#s of the child and the mother. If I have the project, I'll check it for other errors at the same time. (There are always other errors. <g>)

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Okay, I think I may have fixed it.I had Dovid and Sophie married (wrong!), with Morris as their son -- but Morris was actually married to Sophie. So I added a new wife to Dovid (with just Dovid's surname since I don't know her name -- I could probably just leave everything blank = unknown), deleted his marriage to Sophie, and everything looks good. Does anyone see a potential problem with that?

Is there any reason why my solution would create a problem?

Thanks everyone for your input. It's very reassuring to know you are here.

The only issues are whether the children have the correct parents and whether the correct spouses share a Marriage tag. If those issues are taken care of, you should be fine.

TMG doesn't require entries for missing name parts. I always enter (--?--) as a place marker for missing given names or surnames.

Everything seems to be okay. I think I've been inconsistent on how  I've handled missing names. I see that in one case I used "Israel's Wife #1"...for better or for worse!

Thanks for the suggestions. I see that  --?-- appears automatically since I've chosen that for "empty name text" in reports.