Judy M.

Filter for flag

I would like to set up a filter for a particular flag. I've gotten as far as List of People, Filtered group, user filter (whatever number), add, and have found and clicked on the name of the flag. What do I add for Operator and Value?

Also, how do I change the default for a particular flag? If I don't watch what I'm doing, I'm getting "Y" for a group when I add people who aren't in that group. (That's why I need to set up the filter -- so I can determine who doesn't belong in a particular Flag group. :() I just figured that out.

Edited by Judy M.
No longer need that information.

To find all people with a given flag value, the filter would simply be flag name = some value.

SEX = F END

You have not said what you are trying to do. Give an example. You seem to want to be able to find a flag = some value and then some other property to find people with an incorrect flag setting.

Okay. I have a flag for a particular family not related to me. Let's call that the SMITH GROUP. I may have accidentally added some people to this group who don't belong. (After I posted the original message in this thread, I figured out how to change the default, so I hope that won't happen again!)

So...Report, List of People, Filtered group, User Filter 1 (for example), Add(?), find the SMITH GROUP...and then what do I use for "Value"? Or am I missing a step? I was thinking I should use "Y" for the value, but when I do, I'm getting a message, "178 qualified people found. Are you sure you want to change CONNECTED #1 flag to "Y" for these people?" I'm obviously doing something quite wrong because I don't want to change the flag but want to see is a list of people for whom I've already used "Y" (for "yes") to see who doesn't belong in that flagged group.

Hope that helps...and thanks for your reply.

(After I posted the original message in this thread, I figured out how to change the default, so I hope that won't happen again!)

What did you figure out?  Depending upon what you did this may happen again!!

I have a flag for a particular family not related to me. Let's call that the SMITH GROUP... Report, List of People, Filtered group, User Filter 1 (for example), Add(?), find the SMITH GROUP...and then what do I use for "Value"?

When you define a new custom Flag (SMITH GROUP) every person in the dataset now has this Flag along with all the other Flags defined in this dataset.  The idea of a Flag is that some people will be assigned one value, and others some other value. When you defined the new Flag you gave it a comma-separated list of values, such as (?,N,Y).  The first value in the list is the default value to assign.  Thus when you defined the new Flag every person in the dataset was assigned the first value in this list, and every new person added to the dataset will be assigned this first/default value.  A person can only have one of the possible values assigned to them at any time.  It is assumed that you will take some actions to assign a non-default value to "some" people in order to identify them as different from "the rest of" the people with the default value.

You can use the Filter on a List of People report to identify people where a given Flag is assigned a particular value.  So the "Value" that you use in this filter is the one value among the list of possible values which you have assigned to the people you wish to separately identify.

I'm getting a message, "178 qualified people found. Are you sure you want to change CONNECTED #1 flag to "Y" for these people?"

You are getting this message because you have set certain Report Options on this report definition. In the Report Definition Screen, click on Options and then click on the Secondary Output tab.  The above message says that you have checked the "Change Flag" option for this report, and specified a "CONNECTED" Flag as the Flag to be changed.  If you only want a list of the people with a specific value of the "SMITH GROUP" Flag, then that "Change Flag" option should not be checked.  While you are in the Options, click on the "Output Columns" tab and be sure that you have selected appropriate fields for output in the columns of the report.

Now if you "OK" the Report Options you should be able to Create the Report, sending it to whatever destination (e.g. the Screen Preview) that you wish for the output.

Hope this helps answer your questions,

If I understood correctly, I made the default "?" for this particular group. Everyone who I added to my database previously has marked "?" and the Smiths are marked "Y." However, I had added some new people before I changed the Smith default, and I want to be sure they're not marked "Y." First-time around, I failed to make the default "?"

Your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

Oops! Not quite so perfectly, as there are some extra people on the list. I checked their flags for the Smith group, and they're "?" Yet not everyone with a "?" for the Smith group is on the list. Hmmm....

This may be way out on left field -- or not! -- but the reason I'm following the Smith family is because my husband has a DNA connection with someone for whom we can't find a connection. Now that I'm looking at the output from my list, I'm seeing names that we're considering as possible connections (even though we're not sure how). Is it possible that TMG is "seeing" a connection that we're missing (I wish!) even though they're marked with a "?)? Probably not. I just found someone who doesn't seem to fit at all. I guess that was a pipe dream at best.

Edited by Judy M.