TrinityB

Death Certificate Information

I have a lot of information that is now only in the Memo field for a "Death" tag.

My question is has anyone made a custom that will let me enter all this on one screen?

Date of Death

Certificate #

Informant (Wife, Husband, Relative, Unknown)

Marriage Status at Death

Wife's Name

Father's Name

Father's Place of Birth

Mother's Name

Mother's Place of Birth

Occupation

Employer

Cause of Death

Secondary to

Due to

Burial Date

Cemetery Detail

Trinity,

You still haven't answered Jim's question. Are you talking about Sources or Tags? He mentioned Sources and you respond "yes" then say again "Tag." Which are you asking about? Without knowing that we can't help.

2 hours ago, TrinityB said:

I found that out :) Hoping to avoid so many different tag entries for each one document.

Trinity,

As Jim and Terry note, it is also not clear to me what you are asking.  You indicate that the information is " in the Memo field for a "Death" tag".  Putting such information in the memo of a tag is not typically how such information is recorded in TMG.  The typical way to enter information about a Death Certificate is by creating a Source Citation to a Source Record which is that certificate.  Then all the appropriate information from that certificate is entered as part of that citation, not in the tag memo to become narrative output.  One may choose to extract some limited information from the certificate, such as the cause of death, to include in the narrative sentence about the death, but seldom would one include all the information in the narrative.

Since death certificates differ a lot depending upon what year they were issued or where they were created, most people don't bother with creating some standard structure for entering whatever information may be available on that specific certificate.  Usually that information is just entered, free form, in either the Citation Detail field or the Citation Memo field of the citation to the Death tag.  I have constructed all my custom Source Templates to always allow for information to be entered in either the CD or CM or both.

As examples, I have designed two custom Source Types to record death information.  Usually I am only able to locate a Death Register where some of the information you mention is recorded for multiple people, and use a specific Source Type for that.  On rare occasions I am actually able to obtain or view a copy of an actual individual Death Certificate, and have a separate Source Type for that.

These two custom Source Types are both described in detail in my on-line book:

https://www.mjh-nm.net/SRCTMPLS.HTML#DeathRegister

and https://www.mjh-nm.net/SRCTMPLS.HTML#DeathCert

The Source Templates of both Source Types have a number of conditional Source Elements to identify the specific register or collection of death certificates where this certificate is located, but do not include the fields you mention as Source Elements.  Instead for either Source Type I identify the specific record entry or certificate in the Citation Detail field, and just enter all the other information the record or certificate may have in the Citation Memo. 

As is typical, I only entered the cause of death in the memo of the Death tag for my 2nd great-grandmother, Rachel G. Elwell.  That tag sentence produces in her narrative only:

Mrs. Rachel G Smith died of Cardiac Dropsey on 23 Jun 1902 in Muncie, Delaware County, Indiana at age 76 years, 5 months and 24 days.

But there are two citations to this Death tag using both of the above described Source Types: one a Death Register entry, and one her Death Certificate.

-----------------------------

Using the Death Register Source Type for the Death Index for Indiana I have the following:

CD= book H-5, page 85, Rachel G. Smith

CM= Female; White; Died: 23 Jun 1902 in Delaware County, Indiana; Age: 76

That produces a Full Footnote of:

Death Index; Indiana; 1882-1920: book H-5, page 85, Rachel G. Smith. Female; White; Died: 23 Jun 1902 in Delaware County, Indiana; Age: 76.

Using the Death Certificate Source Type for her certificate in Indiana viewable on-line I have the following:

CD= Year: 1902; Roll: 03, image 1915/2786, stamped page 80, Record Number 98, Rachel G. Smith

CM= Place of Death: 2714 S. Liberty St, Center Township, Delaware County. Sex: F. Color: W. Widow. Husband: none. Date of Birth: Dec 30, 1825. Age: 76 y, 5 m, 4 d. Occupation: none. Birthplace: Ohio. Place of Death: Delaware Co., Ind. Father: Mahlon Elwell; birthplace: N. J. Mother: Martha Mills; birthplace: Wales. Informant: Mrs. Geo Porter, 2724 S. Liberty. Died: June 23, 1902, at 10 o'clock P.M. Chief cause: Cardiac Dropsey, for 2 years. Burial: Bluffton, Ind. on June 25, 1902. Undertaker: R. Marks & Sons, Muncie, Ind.

And that produces a Full Footnote of:

Death Certificates, 1899-2011; Indiana: Year: 1902; Roll: 03, image 1915/2786, stamped page 80, Record Number 98, Rachel G. Smith. Place of Death: 2714 S. Liberty St, Center Township, Delaware County. Sex: F. Color: W. Widow. Husband: none. Date of Birth: Dec 30, 1825. Age: 76 y, 5 m, 4 d. Occupation: none. Birthplace: Ohio. Place of Death: Delaware Co., Ind. Father: Mahlon Elwell; birthplace: N. J. Mother: Martha Mills; birthplace: Wales. Informant: Mrs. Geo Porter, 2724 S. Liberty. Died: June 23, 1902, at 10 o'clock P.M. Chief cause: Cardiac Dropsey, for 2 years. Burial: Bluffton, Ind. on June 25, 1902. Undertaker: R. Marks & Sons, Muncie, Ind.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

I totally understand your method here. I was hoping for my own Narrative to get something more like a "full record" without having to use the Exhibit.

I have the idea in mind, just not how to make it happen

Trying to use the [M1]…[M9] in the Memo I can get the information this far... but can not get the expected results from the Preview. I am sure there is something simple to my errors as this is my first attempt to do such a thing in TMG.

As a discussion of "How to do something like this" I appreciate any input :)

This is what I want to end up with...the highlighted text is what I want TMG to supply.

The following information was listed on Sidney George PHILLIPS'S Death Certificate # 7053 19582. The Informant was Madolyn Hammock, Madolyn ‘Madge’ HUNT his daughter. DOB listed was 4/20/1882 at Utah which does match the birth information previously known for him. His age listed at last birthday was 79.

His Last Occupation was Smoker, at Armour Packing Co., a Meat Packing business or industry for 25 years.

Sidney’s SS# was 505-05-6686. Sidney did not serve in the U.S. Armed Forces

He was Widowed at his time of death.  The last address he lived at was 1038 West 62nd Street, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.

His father was listed as John Phillips, born in Ireland and his mother was listed as Elizabeth Ann Hewitson, born in England.

Sidney’s Cause of Death was Sepsis, due to long standing recumbentcy, with underlying cause of right cerebral artery thrombosis. An Operation was performed on 10/11/1961 that was not part of the cause of death. An Autopsy was not performed.

He was buried/cremated on 10/14/1961, at Memory Garden Memorial Cemetery, in Brea, California.

Notes:

There are pictures of him on my website www.xxxxxxx.com

This is my "Memo" field:

[M1]The following information was listed on [PFS]Death Certificate # 7053 19582. The Informant was Madolyn Hammock, [RF:Witness] [PP] daughter. DOB listed was 4/20/1882 at Utah which does match the birth information previously known for [OBJ]. [PGS] age listed at last birthday was 79.
[M2][PP] last Occupation was Smoker, at Armour Packing Co., a Meat Packing business or industry for 25 years.
[M3][PGS]SS# was 505-05-6686.[PF] did not serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.
[M4][PP] was Widowed at [PP] time of death. The last address [PP] lived at was 1038 West 62nd Street, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
[M5][PP]father was listed as John Phillips, born in Ireland and [PP] mother was listed as Elizabeth Ann Hewitson, born in England.
[M6][PP]cause of Death was Sepsis, due to long standing recumbentcy, with underlying cause of right cerebral artery thrombosis. An Operation was performed on 10/11/1961 that was not part of the cause of death. An Autopsy was not performed.
[M7][PP] was buried/cremated on 10/14/1961, at Memory Garden Memorial Cemetery, in Brea, California.
[M8]Notes:
[M9]There are pictures of [OBJ] on my website www.xxxxxxx.com

This is my "Preview" sentence:

Sidney George Phillips died on on 10/11/1961 at age 79 years, 5 months and 21 days
 (an unknown value) The following information was listed on an unknown person's Death Certificate # 7053 19582. The Informant was Madolyn Hammock, an unknown person his/her daughter. DOB listed was 4/20/1882 at Utah which does match the birth information previously known for him/her . an unknown person's age listed at last birthday was 79.
 (an unknown value) his/her last Occupation was Smoker, at Armour Packing Co., a Meat Packing business or industry for 25 years.
 (an unknown value) an unknown person's SS# was 505-05-6686. an unknown person did not serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.
 (an unknown value) his/her was Widowed at his/her time of death. The last address his/her lived at was 1038 West 62nd Street, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
 (an unknown value) his/her father was listed as John Phillips, born in Ireland and his/her mother was listed as Elizabeth Ann Hewitson, born in England.
 (an unknown value) his/her cause of Death was Sepsis, due to long standing recumbentcy, with underlying cause of right cerebral artery thrombosis. An Operation was performed on 10/11/1961 that was not part of the cause of death. An Autopsy was not performed.
 (an unknown value) his/her was buried/cremated on 10/14/1961, at Memory Garden Memorial Cemetery, in Brea, California.
 (an unknown value) Notes:
 (an unknown value) There are pictures of him/her on my website www.xxxxxxx.com , (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value) (an unknown value).

Capture.JPG

Edited by TrinityB

5 hours ago, Terry Reigel said:

Trinity,

You still haven't answered Jim's question. Are you talking about Sources or Tags? He mentioned Sources and you respond "yes" then say again "Tag." Which are you asking about? Without knowing that we can't help.

Terry, I have one Source, a Death Certificate. From that one Source I can gather a wealth of information that I currently have to do individual "Tags" for each bit... ie: Birth, Address, Occupation etc.

I wanted one screen to enter all the information, not necessarily into the proper "Tags" or in the "Source", but more as a document for the Individual Narrative of a person.

The Memo field seems like it might work if I can figure out how to use the Variables inside the [M1], [M2]… I have searched your tips and it still has not hit me what I am doing wrong for the output I am desiring.

Trinity,

The problem you are having now is that you are creating the Memo segments incorrectly. You do not enter [M2], [M3], etc. When you do that you are entering the variable for those segments, but they appear in the output as "unknown value" because there is not such segment actually created. 

Instead, you create the segments but putting in two bars  --  ||

So your Memo should look like this:

The following information was listed on [PFS]Death Certificate # 7053 19582. The Informant was Madolyn Hammock, [RF:Witness] [PP] daughter. DOB listed was 4/20/1882 at Utah which does match the birth information previously known for [OBJ]. [PGS] age listed at last birthday was 79.||[PP] last Occupation was Smoker, at Armour Packing Co., a Meat Packing business or industry for 25 years.||[PGS]SS# was 505-05-6686.[PF] did not serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. ....

Let me see, so do not right click the Memo and select the [M1] … just add the two bars between? Ok, I see how that works. But each [CR:] does not produce the capital letter of the next sentence.

I will keep playing with this... thank you, the two bars I saw, but did not realize that they were "code" for the Memo.

Hard to believe that I have had TMG almost since the beginning and now I decide to figure out all the possibilities! :)

Now it looks like this:

The following information was listed on [PFS]Death Certificate # 7053 19582. The Informant was Madolyn Hammock, [R:Informant] [PP] daughter. DOB listed was 4/20/1882 at Utah which does match the birth information previously known for [OBJ]. [PGS] age listed at last birthday was 79
||[PP] last Occupation was a Smoker, at Armour Packing Co., a Meat Packing business or industry for 25 years
||[PFS] SS# was 505-05-6686.[PF] did not serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.
||[SP] was Widowed at [PP] time of death. The last address [PP] lived at was 1038 West 62nd Street, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
||[SPP] father was listed as John Phillips, born in Ireland and [PP] mother was listed as Elizabeth Ann Hewitson, born in England. [PAR] matches previous data.
||
[SPP] cause of Death was Sepsis, due to long standing recumbentcy, with underlying cause of right cerebral artery thrombosis. An Operation was performed on 10/11/1961 that was not part of the cause of death. An Autopsy was not performed.
||[SP]was buried/cremated on 10/14/1961, at Memory Garden Memorial Cemetery, in Brea, California.
||Notes:
||There are pictures of [OBJ] on my website www.xxxxxxx.com

Individual Narrative looks like this:
image.png.3e2e1a0ebc63f128aaddec3a87bbef85.png

Edited by TrinityB

Yes. When you right-click and select [M1] you are choosing the variable [M1]. In other words, you are telling TMG to fetch the contents of the M1 segment and insert it there.

You would normally do that for other variables, like name, date or place. It would be uncommon to have a memo segment refer to another memo segment, though I can see one might do that if creating separate memos for two or more Principals or Witnesses, where you might want to create some specific text for each person and incorporate some text used in common with it.

You just type in the two bars to create the segments. You can put a space in front and after them if you like to make them easier to see.

Perfect, I am making a template to do these tasks :)

Any suggestions for the Capitalization for each new paragraph? I can reword the information template...

And playing I realized that I only need to do [M] to accomplish this task I think... 

PS...Thank you so very much...

Edited by TrinityB