Pam Wood Waugh

Sources Slow to Load

Just recently I have been having a huge issue with sources. When I try to bring up the list of sources, it can take 1-2 minutes. Then, if I find one, and hit copy, another minute or more passes. Once the copied source shows in the list, if I hit edit, another 1-2 min. I have optimized, reindexed, optimized again and nothing helps.

Anyone else having this issue? It is really frustrating and time consuming...

Pam,

I've heard of slow access to the Master Source List when there are thousands of sources, but 3x or more than the 1600 you have. I am a lumper, and I have about 1015 sources. The MSL opens in about 2 seconds for me.

I have no idea why the MSL is so slow for you, but I am confident there is a problem. I will contact you off-list.

No, the sources are still lagging a long time.

I can't figure this out either. Opening the source list doesn't take long if you just go right to that under tools. If I add a tag, and then try to add a source, the list takes forever. And the same if you are just copying one, and then edit it. Each step takes way longer than it should. Even if you are done editing it, when you go to select it. Saving takes a long time, and then another delay before it shows in the list so you can select it. Makes sourcing very painful. It just started some months ago...it went from great to dismal and no idea way.

I tried all of the different ways that you list and it never took more than 1-2 seconds to open the source list. Your project has 1438 sources.

Pam,

A few other cases of slow response were due to people having some or all of their TMG files being maintained by a cloud service, like OneDrive.  The slow response time was caused by that service having to access the cloud via the Internet, then download a temporary copy of the file, then let TMG do the accessing (read and or write), and then reload the (possibly changed) temporary files back on the cloud.  Depending upon the cloud service and your Internet connections this could take quite a long time.  Could this possibly also be your situation for your source files?

Michael