Sign in to follow this  
Pam Wood Waugh

Cannot Open project in TMG 9

Yesterday I tried to open my project "FAMILY" in TMG and was met with "\_ND.dbf not found". It shut down. Tried again, and it went into Repair Mode.  Again, same result. Rebooted machine. Ditto. Searched on  line for a resolution. Read about deleting all the .CDX files belonging to the project. Looked in my Projects folder and all the rest of my side projects had them, but FAMILY one did not. But I did notice about 10 of my FAMILY .DBF files had [conflicted] , like:   FAMILY_PPV [conflicted].DBF

Figured my data was corrupt, so tried to restore from an old backup (from a whole month ago::[sigh::]. Now all I get is "Someone else is using the project". I can't seem to find a way around that one.

Any suggestions?? I'm about ready to hyperventilate!!  Will a new install fix it??   (with fingers crossed that it is just that simple...)

Pam Wood Waugh

Hopefully, you're not using real-time sync or backup on your project (DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.). I've never seen "[conflicted] added by TMG to a data file filename so I'm assuming that some external application is responsible for this.

You need to back up your project files every work session.

Rebooting your system might allow a backup to be restored.

I can examine your project to see if it can be recovered. Having a data file deleted by some external application is not rare and happens. That's why frequent backups are critical.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Jim, you know I did add my Docs folder to PCloud a few days ago, because I was afraid I might lose my project! Ironic. I was out most of yesterday so never got to my computer until now.

Rebooting didn't help. I get the same thing. I really would love to save the the project as it was on 9/27. I backed it up and it has a lot of work that was NOT in the August backup. Shame on me! I used to back up every day, and I got lazy... I would love for you to look at it. I will remove my Docs folder from PCloud right now, reboot and see.

Pam Wood Waugh  

I just have to say that Jim Byram is wonderful! He saved my project and I am totally indebted to him! I was a bad girl, slacking off and found I hadn't done a backup for a month. And to top it off, TMG wouldn't let me restore any other backups. I was totally hosed and dead in the water. 

The man has the patience of a saint.:rolleyes: I am so excited that I am up and running again. No more using cloud syncing, and I'm backing up every night from now on.

Pam

Thank Heavens for the support here.

Edited by Pam Wood Waugh
too early

On 10/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, Pam Wood Waugh said:

I did add my Docs folder to PCloud a few days ago... I was a bad girl...

An even worse "bad" action was ignoring the warnings that have been being posted for years about not allowing any automatic backup or cloud program have anything to do with the actual TMG files.  Tsk, tsk, tsk, <frown>  Do a backup within TMG, then copy that TMG backup file to some separate folder where the automatic backup or cloud service (e.g. PCloud) will find it and save it for you.

Michael, 

You are not suggesting that my local automatic backup of drive C  and D to an external drive should exclude the TMG progamme and data files?

6 hours ago, JohnR said:

You are not suggesting that my local automatic backup of drive C  and D to an external drive should exclude the TMG progamme and data files?

JohnR,

I am not Michael, but I will answer anyway.

If you have an automated backup program that only runs at a designated time, and TMG is not running at that time, you should be fine. The problem with backup programs that run all the time is they can interfere with TMG trying to access one of its files while you are using TMG, and that can corrupt your TMG database. Popular cloud-based programs run all the time so they can distribute the network load, and that means they are running when you might be using TMG. That's bad, and must be avoided. However, a nightly backup process is fine as long as TMG is not running when that backup runs.

I have an automated backup that runs at 3AM and copies all changed files to an external device. Once a week, I make an "image copy" of each drive on my PC so I have a recent "full copy of the disk" in case something goes wrong. I transport some of the backup files to offsite locations. All that is outside TMG, and I make sure that TMG is not running when those backups occur. Within TMG, I use the File > Backup command frequently. The resulting SQZ files are gobbled up by the backup processes described above.

John

John,

Thank you for your detailed explanation; I had not been aware of the risk to my TMG database.  In fact, rather like you, my automated backup apparently takes place when I am asleep.  Leastways there is a file with the correct name and current date on my external drive every time I look.

John