Sign in to follow this  
cdenbow

Can't find missing exhibits

When I run VFI it reports "2 exhibits not found."  It seems in the past when I had this problem, I could find the persons associated with the missing exhibits by running John Cardinal's TMG Utility.   But TMGU now reports no missing exhibits.  I also thought I recalled that TMG itself kept a log of these things, but I can't find it.  The Last Backup Log only tells me the numbers of the missing exhibits, not which person's they were attached to:

image >291      - C:\Users\cjden\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Exhibits\Sarah Smith 1850 Census.jpg
image >292      - C:\Users\cjden\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Exhibits\Sarah Smith 1850 Census.jpg

So, how to I find where these exhibits are actually missing in the my database?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Carl

Thanks, Jim, that was log I was looking for.  I had forgotten where it was located.  However, in this case it still doesn't give me the information that I need.  It simply says:

"23-11-2019, 17:05:25 !>C:\Users\cjden\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Exhibits\Sarah Smith 1850 Census.jpg  not found.
23-11-2019, 17:05:25 !>C:\Users\cjden\Documents\The Master Genealogist v9\Exhibits\Sarah Smith 1850 Census.jpg  not found."

This only tells me name of the missing file, which I already knew, not who or what file was formerly attached to. I've checked all the obvious places, like Sarah and her husband, their births and deaths, and children, etc., and I can't find exactly where the incorrect reference to this non-existent file is located.  I remember in the past when I had this problem, it was relatively easy to pin down but not this time.  I also know when this problem started.  I renamed "Sarah Smith 1850 Census" to "1850 U.S. Census Sarah Smith" in order to be consistent with my naming of other census files.  I then re-referenced the logical people and events to refer to this renamed file and deleted the references to the old file name.  I obviously missed two that need to be deleted, but where oh where are they? ;-)

Any further ideas?

Carl

Carl, I would just find the 1850 census online and download/attach them again. That's probably a quicker solution.

Doris

To what are the exhibits linked? Citations?

Use the appropriate list report to make a list of the items that the exhibits are linked to. Then open each and check the exhibit.

Doris, thanks for the suggestion, but that would not solve the problem.  TMG would still report the two missing exhibits.  I have to find where TMG is linked to these now non-existing exhibits, and delete the link. -- Carl

On 11/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, Jim Byram said:

To what are the exhibits linked? Citations?

Use the appropriate list report to make a list of the items that the exhibits are linked to. Then open each and check the exhibit.

Jim, 

The problem is that I don't have the slightest idea what they are linked to.  I've check all the obvious places -- exhibits, citations, people, linked to this Sarah Smith.  This is my direct line and I have three Sarahs in a row, and I've checked all three -- one was Sarah Smith by birth and the other Smith is her married name. I can see no logical place where this link points to.  I'm almost certain that in the past, I've been able to find similar missing links via TMG Utility by John Cardinal, but it comes up empty in this case and reports that everything is fine.  I'm stumped. 

Your solution, unless I misunderstand it, would take forever and a day to hunt down these two missing links.  Got to be an easier way! ;-)

Carl

Carl,

Send me the __I.dbf and __I.fpt files (letter 'eye') and I'll see if I can identify the two exhibit records.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Thanks, Jim.  I'll do that now.  Just getting back to genealogy after the holidays. -- Carl

Thanks, Jim, for solving this problem for me.  Just wanted to thank you publicly here, in addition to via private email!

Carl