Sign in to follow this  
David Walker

Maintain Source Numbering in Journal Reports

Is it possible to maintain the original source numbering in a Journal Report.  Having created a rather long report, I realized that the sources were renumbered in the report.  This makes it a very tedious job to edit sources from the report.  Maintaining the original source numbers would be highly desirable.

.......David Walker

Edited by David Walker

David,

The Journal Report does not display Source Numbers. Rather, it displays numbers for Citations. Since a given Source can be cited many times in Tags that appear in your Journal report, often with different Citation Details, the Citation numbers cannot be the same as the Source numbers. 

There is at least one way to display Source Numbers in a Narrative presentation. If you use Second Site to display your narratives in a website, Second Site does display the Source Number as the first item in each footnote.

It would also be possible for you to add a Source Element to each of your Sources that has the Source Number, then have that Element appear in the output templates. However if you have very many Sources defined that would be a large task to undertake.

In addition, David, in case you were wondering about this option.  John's TMG Utility has several features to do global changes to citation details, etc., but I double-checked and the program has no option to automatically obtain the Source Number for a citation and insert it into some part of that citation's details.  Sorry.

This is (yet) another reason why I use Second Site and not Journal reports to review my data as part of clean-up.  As you probably recognize, having this citation's Source Number at the front of each footnote citation really helps to correct some mistake I made in a citation.

Thank you, Terry.  Of course, you are correct.  I should have said "citation".  My goal is to produce a journal report for a hard copy print.  Second Site handles many of the shortcomings of TMG when it comes to reports.  My end product will be a tangible book.  At 1,034 pages, I need to keep the editing process at a reasonable level.

Thank you for the input, Michael.  As stated earlier to Terry, I realize the benefits of Second Site, which I use regularly.  However, my current goal is to produce a physical book.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this would have to done from a TMG Journal Report, rather than from Second site.  To date, I've used Second site for my online web site and to distribute CDs.

.....David

David,

Even if your end product is a physical book, you could  do your proofing  of the text and notes with Second Site, then use a Journal for your final product.