So I am new at this forum business, but I could use some help. I am trying to create a report that will include all the people I have that have at least one of four SOURCE numbers. Once I have all these people in my filtered group. I would like to output (alphabetically) their name,  birth, death, marriage (associated with that citation) and their parents.

FOR EXAMPLE: One of the filtered people may be from my source number 417 found in the birth field and the name is 

John Hendrick so ideally I would like to output a line that looks like

John Hendrick born -----------   city --------------- state --------- child of ------------father--------- and ---------mother----------- 

of course the --------------- would be filled with the proper information. I have tried a list of citations but I can't get parents included. I have looked at list of people but I can't filter out the four citation numbers I want. I am stuck. I have all the people for the Braintree, MA vital records ready to put in an easy alphabetical format and I can't find a report to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Lovell

Jeff,

You can get there with this method, provided you can accept citations to your four sources to Events, not to relationship or name tags:

1. Create a temporary Flag.

2. Use the List of Events report with a filter for any Citations using the source numbers. Use the Secondary output to set the flag.

3. Use the List of People report with a filter based on the flag. Set the output to provide the data you need.

This will give you the data you want, but you won't be able to format as you specify without further processing, probably most easily in a spreadsheet.

I don't see a way to capture this data for people who only have citations to the four sources in name and relationship tags, other than to find them with the List of Citations report and manually change the flags for them.

Thank You Terry - trying now to decipher and do everything you said. I think I understand it in my head, now I just have to use the program and figure out the "flag" business. Thanks so much for your help. I was getting discouraged after having entered all that information into my database and tying it in with my people.

Jeff

Terry - everything you suggested worked fine. Still, in the Report "List of People" I cannot get citation information to go with my data. And of course with the "List of Citations" I can't get all the data I want. :( I made several "List of People" excel files that all have the same people in the same line numbers so I can merge the data. I just need to be able to get the citation information to go to a similar excel file so that they can combine. Back to any more ideas? Thanks to everyone who takes any time with this.

Terry your first statement in your response "You can get there with this method, provided you can accept citations to your four sources to Events, not to relationship or name tags" That is the only sentence I did not understand. I followed your three steps and they worked but what did you mean in that first sentence?" (Unless your three step process was the explanation and I did all that)

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Lovell

Jeff,

The first step I suggested was to use the List of Events report, based on a filter for citations to your four sources, to set a flag. Then use that flag in the List of People report to get the people who have events that cite one of the four sources. Do I need to spell this out in more detail?

My caution was  that the list of Events report will only find event tags with those citations. So if a person has a Name Tag or an Relationship tag that cites those sources, but no event tags that do, that person will be omitted.

No, you did perfect.  I was just making sure that your first sentence was not a step. I did all that but the resulting file (although I got all the individuals with the citatations that I wanted) did not identfy the citation so anyone reading the file would not know which citation the specific person's information came from. That's what I am struggling with now. I am going to run an individual narrative for the set of people with the citations I wanted but I have a sneaking suspicion that is going to be a HUGE file. Thanks for your help and other suggestions would be very welcome. 

Jeff