Morbius

TMG to the Bitter End

I have been using TMG for so long (since about Version 3) that I intend to continue using it until it just won't work anymore.  I find myself wondering, just how many of us diehards are out there.  I just (with a little help) loaded Version 9.05 to a new laptop, so I am pretty sure I will get several more years use out of it.  I have reached a point in my research where I am writing research papers more than actual research, and I find the TMG reports very useful for that (mostly the individual narrative and family group sheets, but also the journal report).  But, I also know there must be life after TMG and I want to be able to pass my years of research along in a usable database.  Consequently, I purchased a copy of Roots Magic (because it has an "Import from TMG" capability), as a future back up.  When I backup TMG, I import that backup into Roots Magic, and store the resulting file in a way it will be available, should the need arise. But, I am not entirely sure this is the best scheme, and I am wondering if other have made similar provisions. 

I too am a long-time user of TMG and bought RootsMagic as a backup. My favorite backup, though, is SecondSite, which is not a genealogy program at all. It is a website builder. Having a website that is not only online but also on my keychain (via a flash drive that also holds TMG backups and Gedcoms) makes my data accessible to all. Second Site, like TMG Utility and several other amazing programs, is written and maintained by John Cardinal. If you haven't experimented with it, I certainly recommend it. You can see some sample sites here: https://www.secondsite8.com/

Doris

There are a lot of us, and the group which used to be Rootsweb (now io.group) is very active. But what is coming is an upgraded program. All volunteers working on it, so it isn't happening quickly, but TMG is likely to work for years. Check this out and sign up for the newsletter.

https://historyresearchenvironment.org/hre-for-users-of-the-master-genealogist/

Sally

Guess there are still a lot of us diehards. I too have been with TMG since the very beginning. I have looked at other programs but to date have not made a decision.  Would be nice if someone could produce a program that would continue TMG.

Still running on Windows 7 and also on Windows 10

On 2.4.2020 at 5:12 PM, Morbius said:

I have been using TMG for so long (since about Version 3) that I intend to continue using it until it just won't work anymore.  I find myself wondering, just how many of us diehards are out there.  I just (with a little help) loaded Version 9.05 to a new laptop, so I am pretty sure I will get several more years use out of it.  I have reached a point in my research where I am writing research papers more than actual research, and I find the TMG reports very useful for that (mostly the individual narrative and family group sheets, but also the journal report).  But, I also know there must be life after TMG and I want to be able to pass my years of research along in a usable database.  Consequently, I purchased a copy of Roots Magic (because it has an "Import from TMG" capability), as a future back up.  When I backup TMG, I import that backup into Roots Magic, and store the resulting file in a way it will be available, should the need arise. But, I am not entirely sure this is the best scheme, and I am wondering if other have made similar provisions. 

You mention an «Import from TMG » capability of RootsMagic. However, the RootsMagic Web Site does not mention the direct import of TMG data. Is there a new version available that allows direct TMG import or did you export the data e.g. as GEDCOM before the import into RootsMagic ?

Max

RootsMagic has been able to do a direct import of TMG data sets since the fall of 2014 (RootsMagic v6.3.2.0). Many fixes and improvements have been made since the initial release.

Family Historian has also been able to do a direct import of TMG data sets since the fall of 2014. Again, many fixes and improvements have been made since the initial release.

Family Tree Maker and Legacy had direct TMG imports but both had many issues that were never resolved as far as I know. The current version of FTM no longer does a direct TMG import.

Thank you Jim for your useful comments. It is good to know alternatives for the worst-case scenario of a TMG breakdown ...

Max

If I have to, I will run Windows 7 in a virtual machine just to run TMG on.

I figure I can do that forever

Edited by Matt_G

I have never posted here, but have used Roots III and now using TMG 7. I want to print what I have to share instead of it being lost in my computer. Have not printed before because couldn’t figure out how to index ; Roots was simple to index with. 
decided to print anyway and the journal report will not work; the other reports do. Grrrrrrr

Jean,

What Operating system are you using, and how are you trying to print?  The print routines in TMG were updated in Version 8 to let it work with later Windows operating systems.  You might try generating your report to a Word document, and then printing that using Word.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I have been using TMG for many, many years - don't know what version I started with. I can't seem to find another genealogy program that will import the data in the fashion I have entered it into TMG. For instance, I use the NOTE tag type to input miscellaneous information about a person that doesn't fall under any other tag. Some individuals have many NOTE tags. A couple years ago I was told to try Family Historian, but it didn't work out. I actually posted a message on their forum asking about that exact problem and was told it couldn't handle it. I then posted another topic asking why TMG users converted to FH, hoping to find some wisdom, and the responses got so whacky (they got into the pros and cons of TMG vs. FH) that the moderator took the topic down! I've tried Rootsmagic in the past (my wife uses it) but I didn't really like how it was laid out. I don't have a backup site - on a weekly basis I copy all the files onto a flash drive and store that away in case I need to restore all I have done (I have over 29,000 individuals in my files).

Thought I would add to this...I just upgraded to Windows 11 and was able to install TMG V9.05 without any trouble so far.  A few minor things, but still hoping it will work until a better option comes along!!!  I have not tried Second Site yet, but hope to reinstall it as well.