tmalek

Source - Passport Application

Looking for suggestions for Source language regarding a Passport Application.

Tom,

I use the Naturalization Record Source Type, which seemed to me to fit this source well.

I've modified the Source Type as follows for all usage, not just for passport applications:

FF:

[SUBJECT]<, [SUFFIX]>, [RECORD TYPE], <[FILE NUMBER]>< ([DATE])>; [REPOSITORY], [REPOSITORY ADDRESS]<. [COMMENTS]><, [CD]>

SF:

<[SF GIVEN NAME] >[SUBJECT]<, [SUFFIX]>, [RECORD TYPE]< ([DATE])><, [CD]>

Bib:

[REPOSITORY ADDRESS], [REPOSITORY], [TITLE], [SUBJECT]<, [SUFFIX]>, [FILE NUMBER]< ([DATE])>.

I totally rearranged the SF because I didn't like the way it worked.

I've added the custom [SUFFIX] Source Element to many of my Source Types to get suffixes to display properly. I've added the custom [SF GIVEN NAME] Element to many Source Types so the given name can be displayed in the Short Footnote, for use when a surname occurs often in my data. I've added the standard Source Element [COMMENTS] to many of my Source Types, to record that I found the record on various online sites, or other notes.

Terry - thanks very much for the reply. Greatly appreciated. Especially your custom Source Elements and your explanation as to why you created them. Hope you and your family stay safe and well during the remainder of these difficult and uncertain times.

Tom

Terry - examining, and thinking about, your Source Elements, I have been wondering about something. In FF and SF you have the Source Element [RECORD TYPE] which, in my case, would be Passport Application. But in BiB instead of [RECORD TYPE] you have [TITLE]. If not Passenger Application what would I enter for [TITLE]?

Tom,

I put "Passport Application" in both the [Record Type] and [Title] Elements. I'm not sure that's the best plan, but it seemed to work for me.

The truth is, I pretty much ignore the Bibliography output, though I do use it for citations in my "outline" website where I include people who I've done little research on.

Thanks Terry. I suppose I could then replace [Title] in BB with [Record Type] and get the same output result.

Tom