robinkaspar

GNIS location lookup in Win10/Parallels

I brought up this subject on the mailing list and apparently as far as Win10 goes, I was not the only one having trouble getting the GNIS location lookup to work after I'd upgraded to Win10. The "solution" was a customization of the link, because the URL has changed. (And I can get that customization for you if you want that.)

This workaround apparently works for people who aren't using Parallels but it isn't working for me. When I click the world/globe icon, it brings up the dialog box, but when I click on the select button, nothing happens. It should open the browser and go to the URL, fill in the search criteria, etc etc. But it doesn't open the browser for me. I am running Chrome as my default on the Windows side and I never had any problems with that when I was running Win 7.

Since this procedure works for the non-Parallels users, I have to assume it's something unique to it.

Jim Byram, do you have any suggestions?

TIA

Robin in Short Pump

The URL for the GNIS search site had changed. All Lee posted was an edit to fix the URL. Nothing else was changed.

Since I have no way to check the place search function when running TMG under Parallels, I can't be of any help. 

btw... I fixed the URL in the placeinfo.ini a bit differently than Lee but the end result is the same and it works fine under Windows 10. My placeinfo.ini is attached. Copy it to the correct folder replacing the existing file.

"C:\Users\(your user account name)\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v9"

placeinfo.ini

For some reason, I do no have that .ini file in that folder and I can't find it in a search. I must have it somewhere because it pulls right up in the location box when I click customize.

I was not able to open your file to see how you changed the URL.

Didn't you used to use Parallels with TMG? I feel like I'm the only one in the world doing that.

Robin

In TMG, to open the folder...

Help menu / Access Folders / select 'User program data folder' / click [Open] 

The placeinfo.ini file is a text file and can be opened with Notepad.

I've never used Parallels and had a dual boot system on the iMac using the BootCamp loader. Glenn Gilbert was the expert on Parallels but he isn't with us any longer.