jderonde

report printing

I attempt to print a report and it instead saves it somewhere and I cannot locate it. It used to simply come on screen and then I could print it. There's got to be a simply way out of this issue. I thought I read once that reloading the program would clear it up but I worry that I'll lose more than 10 years of data saved so I've not gone that route.. Need some advice.

John

Are you saying that when you have Report Destination: Screen Preview selected and click [Create Report], the report is not previewed?

Running the installer and selecting [Repair] or uninstalling TMG to do a reinstall has absolutely no effect on your data. The installer scripts include nothing about where TMG saves its data and can't remove any data.

Are you running Optimize / Validate File Integrity / Optimize on a regular basis (as you should be doing)?

We have 1 member of our user group with the same problem. I have reinstalled and run all 3 maintenance items to try to fix without any luck. TMG works fine except when you try to use screen preview. It sends her reports to C:\USERS\PLAST\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\TMG56335403\56805891.rtf. If you run other reports it only changes the name of the first part of the file name not the path. The name of the user is PLAST. This started happening after the last update to Microsoft Edge was distributed.

We also had to change where our files were saved to allow us to be able to enter own own file name instead of the cryptic filename automatically chosen by Ancestry or ProQuest. Is it possible that this problem could also be fixed by changing the right setting, which I have been unable to locate? Previously it worked just fine. Also, if you use Save to and give it a name, it works just fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TMG always creates a temporary .RTF file in the temp folder when you print to screen preview. The .RTF file is what you view in screen preview and is not an issue.

The issue seems to be that the screen preview window is not being opened. Is that correct?

The most likely reason for the screen preview failing to display is some third-party application blocking the function.

Yes, I agree with your statement that the screen preview window is not being opened. I also agree that a third-party application is blocking the function. The last 2 apps added to the computer were Microsoft Teams Meeting and the update to Microsoft Edge.

After the Teams Meeting was added everything was still ok. The problem started after the update to Microsoft Edge. We already had to change 1 setting as a result of the update.

We checked the default app for a .rtf file and it is set to Microsoft Word.

Any suggestions on what setting we might need to change to fix this new problem?

I have the latest update of both versions of Edge and have no problem with the preview window.

With the latest Chrome version of Edge open and running, a screen preview of a individual narrative report is output with no problem.

If you have Word installed, it is always the default application for .RTF unless you have changed the default.

Applications that typically interfere with TMG are file sync or backup applications and security, anti-virus, and anti-malware applications.

So. Jim, how do you correct it?  Or How can you work around. Or how can you locate the application that is interfering? I have tried and tried all sorts of ways and cannot preview or print a report.

Here is one fix from an earlier topic. Since Screen Preview uses an .RTF file for the view, there must be an installed application associated with the .RTF file type. For example, if Word or LibreOffice is not installed, you can associate the .RTF file type with WordPad.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:48 PM, jderonde said:

found a work around and now I can print and view on screen. But not the usual way. Such is life these days.

Could you tell us how you worked around the screen preview problem?