Sign in to follow this  
James K

Lost key to v9

I am trying to open a TMG v9 data file but have lost the key. I did submit a quest for the key but have not yet heard back. I was told to be prepared to wait for a reply which I continue to do. About how long should I expect to wait?

If the TMG installation is locked, you can still open a project; however, you're limited in what you can do with it.

If you sent a request to support@whollygenes.com for your registration information, it will be answered when it's answered. I can't tell you anything more than that.

If you don't get an answer by a couple of weeks after you  wrote, contact me by email and we'll look for another solution.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Thanks Jim. I am not holding my breath. I need to create a GEDCOM of my data to import into Family Historian. Is there a work-around?

Family Historian 6 will do a direct import of a TMG9 data set. Just point FH to the folder containing the TMG project.

From the Project Window, click [New Project...] and select 'Import from other family tree file'.

Alternatively, if you send me your project, I'll make a GEDCOM for you. I'd advise taking advantage of the direct import.

Another option is to get John Cardinal's 'TMG to GEDCOM' and make a GEDCOM optimized for FH6 import.

I seemed to have resolved my immediate issues and have an error-free Family Historian project file. I would still like to be able to run TMG version 9 and am now not in any rush to get the unlock key.

I found a .sqz file which probably has the TMG data I am looking for. Is it possible for you to extract a GEDCOM file from this file? I realize now the .sq file is to large (40 MB ) to upload on this forum. If I put it it Drop Box, would you be able to work with it?

A project backup (.SQZ file) will not contain your registration information. The registration information is program data entered by the user on the unlock screen, not project data, and has nothing to do with a project.

17 hours ago, James K said:

I found a .sqz file which probably has the TMG data I am looking for. Is it possible for you to extract a GEDCOM file from this file? I realize now the .sq file is to large (40 MB ) to upload on this forum. If I put it it Drop Box, would you be able to work with it?

I can make a GEDCOM of a data set from the project and using Dropbox is OK.

You can also open the .SQZ and copy the project to a folder for direct FH import. Change the file type from .SQZ to .ZIP and browse the archive with File Explorer.