Judy

Source Report

Is it possible to create a report of sources connected to a particular surname? If so how do I do it. I am just getting back into doing family history and TMG9 and a bit overwhelmed.

Judy Smith

jmsmith37@comcast.net

Hi Judy,

First you need to realize that "Sources" are not connected to a surname.  "Citations" to sources are connected to Name tags, Relationship tags, and Event tags.  If you want to find all citations to "Name" tags where those tags have a specific surname, Jim's suggestion is great.  However, few people actually put citations on Name tags.

If you want to list all citations to "Event" tags where anyone linked to the event has a particular surname, then I suggest a Filter on the List of Citations of:

Linked Event... / Any Witness Surname / = Equals / (enter the surname) / END

Of course you could combine three filter conditions together of:

Linked Name... / Surname / = Eguals / (enter the surname) / OR

Linked Relationship... /Parent's Name#; Surname / = Equals / (enter the surname) / OR

Linked Event... / Any Witness Surname / = Equals / (enter the surname) / END

That way you get all citations to any type of tag which involves that surname.

In the Report Options I would suggest including columns like:

Source Number,  Source Abbrev, and Linked Record; Tag Type

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

Michael,

You wrote "... few people actually put citations on Name tags."

I'm surprised if that's true. I probably have more citations in Name tags than any other tags.

Well, that is just an example of how TMG lets each user do whatever works for them.  I was basing my statement on my perception of user comments made in the past, but I am probably biased by my use on my main project where out of nearly 6000 people (nearly 10,000 "names") I have only 250 Name tags with a citation.  Only 19 Primary name tags have citations, the rest of the citations are explaining the "alternative" name.  We all record data differently.

Now that you raise the question I find I have 30,476 names, with 58,057 citations, or 1.9 citations per name on average. I have 1,337 name tags with no citations, about half of them "standard" names that are there only to facilitate finding people who used alternate spellings of their surnames.

I find I have on average 1.6 citations per event, and 1.5 per relationship tag. That's closer than I would have guessed.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:21 PM, Michael Hannah said:

Well, that is just an example of how TMG lets each user do whatever works for them.  I was basing my statement on my perception of user comments made in the past, but I am probably biased by my use on my main project where out of nearly 6000 people (nearly 10,000 "names") I have only 250 Name tags with a citation.  Only 19 Primary name tags have citations, the rest of the citations are explaining the "alternative" name.  We all record data differently.

About 60% of the people in my project have at least one non-Primary Name Tag.  If a Citation is not attached to the Tag (including the Primary Name), how are you or anyone able to determine where it came from and how accurate it is?

Lee