nsdwm56b

TMG v9 problems

When I start TMG9 I get several dialog boxes that tell me that dbf files are read only and I have to go through several ignore dialog box choices and then the pro0gram starts.  Now when trying to add a sibling I get a message that the index tag is not found...3132   GETROLETR.

Is there a simple way to repair this.  I was having similar problems with v8 and recently upgraded to v9 to hopefully get away from the problems but it continues to occur.

Bill

Doing what you suggested did make a difference.  However, the next day TMG was not working well and wouldn't let me backup or close it.  Today I tried to backup but it gave me an error message and wouldn't let me do it.  When I did File/close project it just closed without any of the normal screens that I usually get on closing.  This morning it wouldn't let me backup but I just was able to and after it finished I got "Cannot update the cursor _FILES_ROLES since it is read-only."  There seems to be a trend with issues involving read-only situations.  Now it doesn't want to close.  I also get messages that the project is in use elsewhere and it isn't.  "Close window" doesn't close it.  It's really hosed up.  However I was able to enter data successfully today.

(I'm assuming that you are using the default TMG user folder.

Try this. Use File Explorer to browse to your documents folder.

Select the "The Master Genealogist v9" folder, right-click on it and select Properties.

Unselect Attributes: Read-only (the mark will clear) and click [OK].

Now try TMG.

I unselected ready only and I was able to start TMG and backup the project but after backup finished I got a message about a read only file.  Now I can't close it without closing windows.  My data from this morning is still in the project.

You never need to close Windows to end a TMG process that won't close.

You open the Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc, select the TMG process, and click [End task].

These kinds of issues are not uncommon. Maybe it's time to consider moving on from TMG.

I've bought another software (Legacy 9.0) and to import my TMG9 project data I need a "good" GED file.  I can't get TMG9 to export a decent one because of the issues I am having.  In trying to get TMG9 working enough I I went to the folders/files that the error message said was "read-only."  I then changed the properties of those folders to undo the read only and selected "apply" but when I reopened the folder it still said "read-only".  Importing the GED file I did created ended up giving me all the names but no relationships, so I'm anxious to get something that incorporates all the correct information.  Any ideas further?

Folders are always marked read-only. When you open a folder properties and unselect read-only, the files contained will be marked read-write.

I'll make a GEDCOM for you if you send me your project or a project backup. If the backup is too large to email, you'll need to upload the project so that I can download it.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Jim, how do you make a GEDCOM for just one family within a database, assuming that that's possible? I have a relative who would like a GEDCOM of one of the families I'm researching so she can open it in Legacy 9. I've already warned her of potential issues, but I'm willing to share my data...for that one family.

I am not Jim, but the simplest way is to somehow identify the people you want so you can use a Filter for them.  One way is to set a Flag to a unique value for the people in this family.  Another is to start by selecting a person from this family in the Focus Group and use it to add people that are ancestors, descendants, and or spouses until the entire family is added to the Focus Group.

I note that Legacy cannot directly import from TMG, so you will have to do a GEDCOM export.  Be sure to choose the Enhanced option and then select this subset of people, either by Flag value or by Focus Group, when you do the GEDCOM export.

No. You have three tools to build a group of people.

1) the Focus Group

You can add a person or people to a focus group individually and then use the Focus Group to add ancestors, descendants, and spouses. This is the easiest way. Just keep in mind that the additions occur for the selected person/people. Be sure to make the selection correctly before making additions.

2) the Project Explorer

You use the Project Explorer and its filters and add the selections to a focus group. This can be done in multiple steps to add people.

3) the List of People report and its filters to set a flag. Again, this can be done in steps.

The end results of all of the above is a group of people in the Focus Group or with a given flag and you can export the group based on either.

The best way to proceed depends on exactly how you want to group to be specified. 

Well, I made a focus group, selected everything that seemed appropriate for the GEDCOM, made the GEDCOM, downloaded the free version of Legacy, and imported the GEDCOM. I think my relative will be able to work with the GEDCOM, but she will have to purchase Legacy in order to do everything she wants to do. I was glad to see that I included the source information for her. I don't know whether every person has been included, but she can always look at my reports to determine that. Now she darn well better share any updates she has!!!