johnbuckjr

Backup Problem ....

I backup my data on a "fairly" regular basis...  today I looked in the backup folder that I use to see when I last backed up...  the folder was empty!  I have searched my computer for *.sqz files - thinking that my file may have been stored somewhere else - and I successfully found backups from years ago, but nothing for the past two or three years!

The program seems to go through the steps to backup, and I get a window that says "OLE exception error: Exception code c00000fd. OLE object may be corrupt" - it seems that I've always had that Error Window and I always click IGNORE.  The program then pops up an information window that says: "Backup to F:\TMG BackUp\Master Project 2020-12-01 17-45-50.sqz is complete."  But that file cannot be found on my computer...  I tried sending the backup to the Backup folder in TMG, but with the same result. 

I must have changed something somewhere, but I have no idea why I am not getting any backup at all...

I'm guessing that some object having to do with the .ZIP file component is missing.

Try running the installer as administrator and select [Repair] and see if that fixes it.

If that didn't work, uninstall (this won't affect your data) and run the installer as administrator and reinstall and see if that fixes it.

(Note that the TMG installer is always run as administrator but, sometimes, it is necessary to explicitly select to run it as administrator. You do this by right-clicking on the installer and selecting 'Run as administrator'.)

Thanks for your suggestions, Jim.  I tried both the repair and the reinstallation...  but am still having the same problem, no change at all.  The program goes through the steps for making a backup and then pauses for a bit before the same Error Message comes up again (I click IGNORE) and the message that the backup is complete follows.... but no backup.

I have searched my computer for all sqz files, and many appear, but no recent files...  I think the latest sqz file I have found is from 2016.

I'm out of ideas. Another user had this situation where he couldn't backup and it was never resolved.

You can manually make a backup.

1) Make a .ZIP archive of the 48 project files, the accents and the filters.

2) Edit the .ZIP file and add a comment based on the following pattern...

Backup of Test 2007-10-24 18-30-00.sqz was created at 2007.10.24 by The Master Genealogist v 9.05.000 with EXHIBITS

a) filename doesn't appear to matter
b) Creation data probably doesn't matter
c) Version should be full and correct
d) omit 'with EXHIBITS' if none

Easiest route is to make the comment as above with all parts correct.

The key to success is a correctly structured comment!

3) Rename to SQZ

The name can be simple (Test.sqz) or mimic a real backup (Test 2007-10-24 18-30-00.sqz).

TMG should be able to restore the .SQZ file.

Running as administrator did not make any difference evidently...    I'll try making a zip file, as you suggest...  However, in that folder there seem to be 152 items rather than the 48 you mentioned...  how can I tell which files make up the 48?  I can guess at many of them: like - born in Virginia or tennessee.acc is probably not a file I need to include, but Master Project_.ACC is probably one of the 48 to include.

All of this seems odd to me.  I was able to successfully backup my data in the past...  I did a scan of my computer and found sqz files going back to 1999, but nothing after 2016!  I guess I just haven't been paying attention and never checked on them since 2016.....

Thanks again for your help.  It is much appreciated.

John

John,

A TMG project is comprised of 48 files. Only these 48 files absolutely need to be in a backup.

• .PJC file x1 (a text file with essential project version and configuration data)
  • .DBF files x29 (FoxPro database files)
  • .FPT files x18 (FoxPro database memo files)
  • Total = 48

.CDX - index files (don't add to the backup)

.ACC - accent files (include in backup)

.FL* - filter files (include in backup)

Other files (.txt, .log, .doc, .bak, etc.) (don't need to include in backup)

You can include all files, if you wish, but omit the index files. This is what the TMG backup procedure does. When a project is restored, it is indexed and new index files are created.

I was really hoping that the fresh install would fix things.

Jim

Thanks Jim ...

I was hoping that the fresh install would solve it as well....  I just can't imagine what happened to prevent the backups from actually taking place like they did in the past...  Evidently, since the last recorded backup was in 2016, this version of TMG has successfully made backups in the past.... so it must be something I've done, some button I've clicked on during one of my mad "lets click this and see what it does" sessions! <g>  

Thanks for letting me know what files I need.  I assume (always a questionable attitude to adopt) that the pjc (project files) include any external exhibits that might be attached to the data.... is that correct?

The exhibit file (_I.dbf and _I.fpt) (letter 'eye') contains the links to external exhibits and any internal exhibits.

It's best to manage your external exhibits outside of TMG. It really complicates things if you want to create a manual backup like I've described and want to include the external exhibits.

btw... I'd think that the problem with making backups originated outside of TMG and had nothing to do with anything that you did or didn't do. The issue can be as simple as a corrupted file or as complicated as an action by an external application.

John,

Have you tried to do a backup where the option is set to NOT include external exhibits??

What operating system you are using? If it is an older version it is possible by including exhibits the backup file may have become a bigger single file than your system can handle.

Clutching at straws here.

Michael... Good idea.

We've also seen a backup issue where one of the exhibit files was the issue and not including exhibits resulted in a successful backup.

Jim

Bingo....

I'm using the latest version of TMG and the latest version of Windows 10.

When I unchecked the box for EXTERNAL EXHIBITS.... the backup file was created!

Thank you for the suggestion... whew!  That was a strange experience!

I would assume that if I backup the external exhibits separately that if I was to restore my backup and simply restore the exhibits into the same directory and folder from whence they came that I SHOULD be alright.....

Thank you Michael and Jim for all of your effort with this question...  I appreciate your time and your thoughts!

John

2 hours ago, johnbuckjr said:

I would assume that if I backup the external exhibits separately that if I was to restore my backup and simply restore the exhibits into the same directory and folder from whence they came that I SHOULD be alright.....

Sure.

If you make a system backup on a regular basis (and I really hope that you are doing this), exhibits can always be restored from that.

And your system backup utility should be able to backup the exhibits folder (or tree) separately from anything else. Most system backup utilities have the ability to backup selected files.