cswhite1968

Reinstalling TMG v. 9.5 on a New Laptop

Hello

Recently I bought a new laptop and I installed TMG v. 9.5 on it. I just made a backup of my TMG files and also created a new GEDCOM file. On my old laptop I had many customizations on TMG. I am looking for everything to transfer over to the new laptop easily including the customizations. Is it possible for the customizations to transfer over? And is there anything specific that I should do to make this change happen smoothly?

Thank you - Chris White

Working ideas...

Only backup what you change. For example... the language files. If you haven't customized a language, there is no point to backing up the language files since you are using those from the TMG installation. Be selective about what you back up.

If the new computer and the old computer have the same (or similar) operating system version and use the same TMG paths, backing up and restoring the program settings shouldn't cause problems (Preferences > Program options).

Make sure the backup path is correct on the new computer.

Everything is going ok with the reload. I'm going from Win 8.1 to Win 10. The way that I installed the program on the new computer was to load my original TMG v.9 disk on the new laptop. Then I loaded TMG v.9.4 update from another disk. And finally I downloaded the v. 9.5 final from this forum. Then I loaded my SQZ file. I have key codes for the original disk and also the 9.4 update. Never was I asked to add the key code. Is this the norm or will I have an issue say 30 days from now? Thanks

There was no point to the multi-step install. You should have simply installed v9.05. Any project will be updated as necessary when first opened.

There is no TMG9 program 'upgrade'. When you install a newer version, the current installation is removed and the newer version is installed.

The registration information for TMG9 applies to any version of TMG9.

You should unlock running TMG as standard user (the normal way you run TMG) and also by right-clicking on the TMG shortcut, selecting 'Run as administrator' and unlocking that way.