karenz

How to delete the index file and re-create the index

On trying to open TMG I got the following error:

Index does not match the table. Delete the index file and re-create the index. 12203 FILL_N

Where can I find the index file?

I searched the forum but only found posts of people asking where to find the file to delete it. Is it one of the I.xxx files in the project folder?

Maybe important, since deleting several projects a few years ago, TMG always begins with Updating Names. This time it got stuck and I can't open TMG at all.

Thank you in advance!
Karen Zander

Karen,

The project index files are the .CDX files. With TMG closed, those 29 .CDX files can be deleted. When TMG is run and the project opened, TMG will create new index files.

There are also index files in the Repeat_files and Slideshow folders. Very rarely, an error can come from one of those index files.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, it happened again despite re-creating the index files, and running all maintenance procedures. When I try to open TMG, it starts updatingĀ names before the program opens, but then I get the same error message. When I click Abort, TMG opens. It appears to be running normally, but this makes me very uneasy. What could be causing this error?

Karen Zander

Hi Jim,
Yes, I ran the maintenance procedures. Each time I get the index error, I get errors in Validate File Integrity. That's unusual.Ā 
Yesterday evening I tried opening TMG again, and it opened without issue. This morning I got the error again, was able to open by clicking abort - and 7 Validate File Integrity errors again.Ā 
I can't tell in the VFI log what the problem is. I've attached it. What would I be looking for?
Would it be worthwhile to run the TMG Repair function? Or should I reinstall? Or just keep on with hoping for the best? (I don't like that last option!)
Karen Zander
Ā 

Last VFI.log

Karen,

I have no idea whether this is the installation or the project or some external application causing a problem.

Run the TMG installer and select [Repair] and see if that makes a difference.

I can do an in-depth check of your project if you wish.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I had a suspicion that the problem might be caused by my recent installation of Acronis True Image for Western Digital. I had to replace an external back-up hard drive, because the one I had ran out of room. The new drive uses a different software, and I couldn't figure out how to deselect certain folders. Though I never ran TMG during back-ups, and the external HD was only connected for back-up, I thought maybe Acronis had caused the problem. I figured out today how to deselect folders and deselected TMG in Acronis. The back-up just finished. The same problem with TMG occurred when I tried to open it. So either Acronis has damaged TMG, or something else unrelated has occurred. I will try the Repair mode tomorrow morning and let you know.Ā 

Karen Zander

Hi Jim,

I ran the repair on TMG this morning, then maintenance procedures, then opened, closed and reopened several times during the day without problem. The Acronis backup just ran and then the error occurred again when I tried to open TMG. I am now going to uninstall Acronis and see what happens tomorrow afternoon. If I can open TMGĀ without problem in the evening, then I'll know it was Acronis causing the problem. If TMG still doesn't open without error in the evening, then it's a mystery to me. In that case I may have to take you up on your kind offer to check the database.

Karen Zander

Hi Jim,

The problem seems to be solved now that I uninstalled Acronis. I wouldn't have thought that Acronis would cause such a problem, but TMG opened this evening with no problem now that I uninstalled Acronis. I'll just have to continue using the outdated and now unsupported backup software I was using with the old external drive. Hopefully this is the end of the problem.
Thank youĀ for your patience.

Karen Zander

I do an image backup of all drives on the computer to an external hard drive once a week. All is done as specified inĀ one BackupĀ  Definition File and one backup file of everything is created.

It is simple to mount a drive from a backup file to recover any folder or file that is in the backup image.

The Macrium Reflect UI Watcher runs in the background all of the time. That is used to prevent deleting backups except from within Macrium Reflect.

There is no real time backup process going on so the program has no effect on running TMG or on TMG data (other than backing up).

I used Acronis but got irritated at how it backed up the Windows partition on my iMac. Acronis took about 3.5 hours. Reflect took about 30 minutes. The backup was the same data in both cases. I still use Acronis on my wife's two computers. btw... I never had any issue with TMG using Acronis.

Hi Jim,

Thank you! I installed Macrium, ran a backup and TMG is giving no errors.

I wonder if Acronis only caused a problem for me because my TMG always indexes names before opening. That makes my TMG different from yours.

Thanks again!
Karen