Sign in to follow this  
BobL

backup error message

When I backup my data I get an error message about an input file read failure.  I've attached a screenshot of the message. When I click on OK it tells me the backup file is complete and to check the lastbackup.log for missing exhibits but there is NO backup file and NO last backup log.  How do I correct this?

TMG input file read failure error msg.jpg

The usual solution is to backup to your main disk drive and to the default backup folder. The ancient .ZIP library is very fussy about where it will write the backup. You can always copy the backup, after making it, to another folder or drive if necessary. You should never back up directly to any folder used by a syncing utility such as One Drive or Dropbox or to a network location. It's also possible that some external application (anti-virus, anti-malware, syncing, backup) is interfering with the backup process.

It is possible that this issue can't be resolved. That's very rare but has happened for a user or two.

You can always make a manual backup by making a ZIP archive of the 48 project files (29 .DBF files, 1 .PJC file and 18 .FPT files) and naming it appropriately. That archive would also need to be restored manually by unzipping it into the folder where that project is stored.

Edited by Jim Byram

Thanks Jim.  I reset my backup to the default backup folder on my main disk drive and tried again.  It got all the way to the end and the same message appeared.  Over the last 2 weeks I have gotten several error messages but I think they have resolved themselves.  I have attached those error messages in case they are related.  

TMG backup error msg.jpg

TMG error message 2 repeat file.jpg

TMG error message 3 repeat file.jpg

TMG error message ext exhibit log.jpg

TMG error message input file read failure.jpg

TMG gedcom error msg.jpg

TMG repeat files error msg.jpg

Those are all permissions issues. You don't have permission to access your own Documents folder. <g>

From File Explorer, right-click on the 'The Master Genealogist v9' folder in the Documents folder. Unselect the Read-only attribute. That alone might work.

Also try this... Run TMG as administrator and try a backup. Right-click on the TMG shortcut and select 'Run as administrator.' Respond to the UAC prompt affirmatively. Open your project and try a backup.

Jim, I followed your suggestions and I don't get any of the error messages except the input file read failure when I do a backup.  any other suggestions?

Try backing up to the default TMG backup folder and do not include anything in the backup except the project files, accents and filters.

Jim, I just want to say Thank you.  I was looking at the posts and saw one from 2014 titled final installer.  It was for version 9.05 and you had written instructions for a clean install.  Since I was using 9.04 I decided to download 9.05 and follow your instructions for a clean install.  So far I have not gotten any of the error messages I was getting, TMG has backed up successfully and I have a Last Backup log.  It may not last but for now it's working.  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.